Day 31 Bullard State Park - Bandon: Hmm... are we really going to do this? Yes, we are!!! - 2 For the Road - CycleBlaze

August 3, 2017

Day 31 Bullard State Park - Bandon: Hmm... are we really going to do this? Yes, we are!!!

We woke up early this morning, having slept really well with the distant sound of ocean waves lulling us all night. As the town of Bandon was just down the road, we decided to pack up and just have a quick bite there before heading down to Humbug.

our spot at the hiker/biker site
Heart 0 Comment 0

Belongings packed, we headed out into the crisp morning. It was foggy, so we had our lights on, both front and back. It was a short down hill and then we hit a flat section where we found ourselves battling to keep our speed to 10 m/hr due to the wind in our faces. This was not making me feel very happy. We missed our turnoff from 101, and so were missing the scenic by-pass that I was looking forward to. Grumpier still became I. We found our way to the older section of Bandon and to a nice little coffee shop where my good humour was soon returned by the taste of coffee and a bagel (and wifi).

Jim get's his head in a bit too far!!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
this fish was made entirely from recycled pieces of platic
Heart 0 Comment 0
the lighthouse in Bandon
Heart 0 Comment 0

We enjoyed our little break and hopped back on the bikes to find the scenic route we had missed by one block. As we rode along, I found myself longing to stay in this quaint little town. I wished that we had kept our campsite for one more night. We rode on and I grew more and more sad as the waterfront area looked so inviting. Once we were up on the hill overlooking Tabletop Rock, we stopped at a viewpoint.

oh, what a beautiful view!
Heart 0 Comment 0
so breathtaking
Heart 0 Comment 0
I don't really want to leave!
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was breathtaking and standing there, looking out over this wonderful scene, I noticed a motel, just a block away. “Jim, what if we decided to celebrate our anniversary a few days early and just stayed here?” Jim, being the awesome and wonderful guy that he is, did not say no. We decided to check out the prices of the motel and then decide. We found that they did, indeed have a room and the price was good. We needed to take a minute to decide for sure so went down the road to another viewpoint. Well, that did it! More amazing rocks, more amazing scenery. Why would we leave this beautiful little spot so soon? We reminded ourselves that we are not on this journey to prove anything or to set any speed records (unless we set a record for the slowest tour ever!) so we went back and booked ourselves into the Tabletop View Motel for 2 nights!!! That gives us today to spend at the local library, catching up on the journal, and tomorrow to relax and walk on the lovely beaches here.

ok, honey, let's stay - yay!!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

So there you have it, dear readers. I am sorry if you were looking to find our epic riding adventure today. You will have to come back in a few days and see how far we make it. Kind of like those old timey adventures stories that would be printed in a magazine – you have to keep coming back to see what happens! For today, what happens is I am done writing, will try to post some pics and then will go and play in the ocean!

we finally got it to work!!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
thanks, Colin!
Heart 0 Comment 0

ps here are some pics we took of the town, once we had a chance to unload at our motel. It is uphill from the town to where we are staying, so we are still getting a bit of a workout today!

Jim took this - don't know why
Heart 0 Comment 0
look, Molly! We found Myrtlewood!!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were some very inspiring quotes up in this store
Heart 0 Comment 0
downtown Bandon
Heart 0 Comment 0
pretty much a chick town for sure
Heart 0 Comment 0
as you can tell!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
some really intricate wood sculptures
Heart 0 Comment 0
a view from the waterfront dock
Heart 0 Comment 0
lunch (and dinner as it turned out)!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 24 km (15 miles)
Total: 1,154 km (717 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0