To Bisbee - Looking Back With 2020 Vision, Part I - CycleBlaze

February 1, 2020

To Bisbee

Today’s ride to Bisbee began by backtracking the tail end of our ride from Tombstone to Douglas: west on Route 80, north on Kings Highway, then west on Double Adobe Road.  At the community of Double Adobe though (the place with the small country store we posted a photo of), we continue west on Double Adobe Road for another five miles until coming to its end at the junction with Route 80 at the base of the Mule Mountains.  Up until then, this entire ride is flat, quiet, and borderline uninteresting - as it was going the other direction two days ago.

Leaving Douglas, a town we enjoyed more than we had expected to.
Heart 3 Comment 0
On Kings Highway. All seven miles look pretty much like this.
Heart 2 Comment 0
See what I mean?
Heart 2 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesWell, unless you are looking backwards, the telephone poles did cross the road!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonOh, funny! You’re right, they did cross the road. You can just make out that it’s the same direction from the mountains and shadows. Too much excitement!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
We’re off Kings Highway now, heading west on Double Adobe Road. The Mule Mountains are just ahead. It shouldn’t take us more than an hour or so to get there.
Heart 2 Comment 0
OK, I’m pretty sure this is a pyrrhuloxia, and not it’s cousin the cardinal. You can’t tell from this shot, but it has the characteristic yellow beak. Note that this photo is like an ink blot test - when Rachael saw it at first, she thought its head was pointed skyward, its beak open.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jen RahnAnother beautiful bird!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
A half hour later, closing in on the Mule Mountains.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Once we approach the Mule Mountains, the ride becomes much more interesting.  After joining Route 80 we start gradually climbing immediately through a gap in the mountains, and don’t stop climbing until we reach Bisbee.  Along the way we take in the grotesque splendor of the series of three abandoned open pit copper mines that lead right to the doorstep of downtown Bisbee.

Really close now.
Heart 3 Comment 0
If you have an itch, scratch it. Actually though, I took this photo for the shadow.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mesquite and mistletoe and mountains, oh my!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Climbing through a gap in the Mule Mountains , we get a last look back at the basin. It must be about thirty miles across at this point.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Come to think of it, this could be a good subtitle for this whole tour.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Nearing Bisbee the Sacramento Mine, the first of its three huge open pit copper mines, comes into view.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Relic from the Sacramento Mine, which shut down in 1929 when copper demand crashed during the Great Depression.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Biking past the Lavender Mine, climbing up to Bisbee at the end of the gap.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Video sound track: Kodachrome, by Paul Simon

Biking past the Holbrook Extension, the newest of the three open pit mines. It’s amazing that it almost encroaches one the edge of downtown Bisbee.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Climbing past the Lavender Mine toward Bisbee.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Lavender Mine.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Lavender Mine.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Lavender Mine.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Bisbee is a great little town.  Very colorful, full of interesting buildings and shops.  There’s enough to see that I’ll post a separate photo dump from my walking tour of the old town.

We’re staying at the Bisbee Grand Hotel, a fine old place that I liked much better up until a half hour ago, when the evening entertainment started up in the bar downstairs.  Loud, percussive, penetrating.  It’s going to be a long night.

We’re staying at another grand old hotel in Bisbee, literally.
Heart 4 Comment 0
After we check in, I refresh myself in the bar downstairs, taking in the live music act. This guy is quite good, and has an interesting, eclectic repertoire. He opened with an old favorite of mine: My Romance, by Rogers and Hart; and then followed up with numbers by Jobim, Taj Majal and the Everly Brothers.
Heart 3 Comment 0
  
In the Grand Hotel, stepping out to a fine meal at Cafe Roka.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bisbee is an addictive place, easy to get reeled in to. Here, we’re snared by the Cookie Hooker on the way back from dinner.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 32 miles, 1,600’; for the tour: 1,581 miles, 76,200’

Today's ride: 32 miles (51 km)
Total: 1,581 miles (2,544 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0