Porticciolo to Canari - It's late September and I really should be back on tour - CycleBlaze

October 10, 2018

Porticciolo to Canari

a hill to cross and a wonderful coastal ride

The weather this morning was mixed sun and cloud but with warm temperatures. We were pleased that the forecasted showers did not seem to be around.

A nice continental breakfast was provided but we were still both feeling rather full from last evening's feast. We set out on the road by 09:30 with a fairly good wind from the SE at our backs. We retraced our ride past the beach where Scott swam yesterday and turned left a few kilometres north at Saint Severa. We were now on D180 and the vehicle traffic had disappeared. We rode up to Luri and then the more serious climbing began. But it was consistent grade and quite managable. We soon reached the col and Pat had to send me back down to get a picture of the sign while she waited only slightly uphill. The weather looking west was sunny but clouds were building in the east where we had come from. Still dry but the sound of thunder could be heard off in the distance.

Turning west off the coast, the roads cleared of traffic as we climbed up 380 metres through a lightly forested area,
Heart 0 Comment 0
We can see the top now.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pat reaching the top.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Scott taking a selfie at the col:Bocca di Santa Lucia .
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pat standing in front of Santa Lucia chapel, built in 1800s.
Heart 1 Comment 0

At dinner last night Laurent had told us about a good hike just further up the road from the top. Still more climbing to a parking lot and then a 30minute hike to the very top of the hill where a lookout had been built. The path was fairly uneven ground so Pat, not wanting to risk an ankle injury, sent Scott up the last 100 metres to the top. The views were very good and we were told that on a clear day you can see the ocean in both directions. Not so lucky today, but the coastline to the west was amazing from this height.

The handwritten sign pointing to a most amazing hike!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking east from La Tour de Seneque you can just see the coast through the clouds that are chasing us west..
Heart 0 Comment 1
KAREN JONESThe bad weather is coming from the hurricane action off the east coast of the States, I think!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Blue skies to the west and it is all downhill from here.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We headed back down to the highway and began our serpentine downhill to the town of Pino.  Coffee stop!! The small town was pretty quiet but this was likely  due to the regular afternoon closing hours.

Our coffee stop in Pino.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Amazing fungi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pino in the background.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were now back on D80 which seems to be the main coastal highway but it was pretty much void of cars. We completed the next ten kilometres to Canari by ourselves on this amazing and slightly scary balcony road. Rock above and shear cliffs below would have made this road very difficult to build.

A nice ride on the D80 with almost no car traffic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A balcony road with great views and shear cliffs only protected by a small road side barrier.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Road building on these rock walls must have been very difficult.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The D80 between Pino and Canari - a wonderful ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the few vehicles that we saw on the road.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The views were great and Scott thought it was one of his top cycling rides. But the heights and very blustery wind made it difficult for Pat to enjoy as much.

An amazing road on the side of a cliff.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More great views of the rugged Cap Corse coastline.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We made it to our accomodation just before some showers came into the area. Our timing today was very good. We enjoyed a meal of salad (mostly local bacon and a  bit of lettuce) and a fabulous octopus pasta dish for dinner at our pension.

A map of Cap Corse. Our route today took us through Saint Severa, Luri, Pino and Canari.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ride from the last two days. The sharp point at the top is the hike to the tower.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 39 km (24 miles)
Total: 524 km (325 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0