Canari to Saint Florent - It's late September and I really should be back on tour - CycleBlaze

October 11, 2018

Canari to Saint Florent

The end of Cap Corse

Sleep was a bit difficult last night as the window shutters banged noisily  in the gusty winds. The weather forecast was for a somewhat wet day but when we got out of bed it looked like we would be spared.

We had arranged breakfast at the auberge but were getting concerned about the state of our cash levels since credit cards were not an option at Le Chat qui Peche. The proprietor suggested we use Paypal. That was a first for us - convenient but not the best exchange rate  and some hefty fees. Would not recommend but in a pinch it works.

Pat has been worried about the strong winds and being up high on the almost shoulderless roads. Some of the gusts were right at us from the south and so strong that riding forward was a stuggle. She was fine as long as she did not look up or down and kept riding. Shame to miss such a beautiful ride! But no stopping  at the overhanging pullouts for pictures. 

We set off down the highway still enjoying it relatively car free. Again our distance was short today so we pulled off into many of the  small villages that we passed.  Just around our first corner we passed a deralict mine with quite a history on Cap Corse.  It was an old asbestos mine that has been closed now for over 50 years.  At its peak, the mine made France one of the leading asbestos producers in the world.  

Now however, it is quite an issue for France and the EU as they don't know what to do with it.   Many options have been considered - blowing the whole thing up for one, but all have been deemed too dangerous for the people in the surrounding areas and the environment in general.  It is costing billions of Euros to keep the mine stable and to ensure that no more asbestos fibres escape.

A sad memorial to asbestos mining in Canari. Over twenty years of operation, nearly 4 million tons of earth and cuttings were deposited into the sea. This would not be without consequences on the environment.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The old Canari asbestos mine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stange looking black beach that is completely artificial due to the waste rock from the asbestos mine just around the corner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quite a road. This naked scarred rock corner can be seen for miles away.
Heart 1 Comment 0

In one of the villages we ran into  the "meat truck" .  It pulled into town and honked a strange horn as it went one direction, turned and passed us again.  It seemed to work like an ice-cream  truck except the villagers all  came out to buy meat!  The towns were all pretty quiet though and seemed to be shut down now that summer is over. Sometimes a dog came out to greet us!

Have not see this before - a town to town meat truck. It had a full butcher shop in the back.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our coffee stop was in the wonderful village of Nonza. We lingered here at a great outdoor coffee / bar and then climbed some stairs to the ancient lookout.

Great place for coffee in Nonza. We had the usual cappuccino and espresso but the locals seem to prefer white wine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The village of Nonza from the lookout above. Looks like a toy miniature in this picture.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Water view property available. Great location. Near a wonderful coffee shop but needs a new roof and some updating.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pat heading out through a village gate.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Very cool old clock mechanism that I spotted in a corner of the church. Wondered if it had been used to keep time for the church bells.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We carried on along the D80 and Pat found this to be a most enjoyable ride as the winds died off and elevations were a bit lower. Turning in land for a few kilometres the clouds were thick and we could that it was raining up in the hills.  Luckily the road soon turned and we headed back to the coast in warm t-shirt weather sunny conditions. 

We spent the afternoon exploring Saint Florent and then headed out for dinner.

Great place to have beer in the afternoon. In fact it got so hot when the sun came out we needed to be in the shade.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just a small part of the marina at Saint Florent. Lots of boats here as the surrounding waters look great to enjoy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fountain in one of the town squares.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Best Fruit de Mer pizza ever! It was covered in real seafood. Muscles, octopus, prawns, clams and squid - they were all there and fresh.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 28 km (17 miles)
Total: 552 km (343 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0