Mirabeau to Cotignac - It's late September and I really should be back on tour - CycleBlaze

October 1, 2018

Mirabeau to Cotignac

Big winds blow us southward

We left our room at the  Relais Du Grand Logis and tried to remember where the designated breakfast room was from our tour last night - as we wandered up and down twisting stair cases  and the maze of hallways.  We soon bumped into the hotel manager and he pointed out the way. Fresh baguettes and croissants were waiting for us on the table as well as the usual jams, juice, coffee yogurt ect. A very nice spread for just the two of us.

We gathered up our panniers and headed out into a blustery windy day under perfectly blue skies. Today's route took us primarily in a southerly and easterly direction. We travelled back across the Durance river, turned onto the D11  and  later connected to D561 as well as various other highways.  We travelled through Rians, Varages, Barjols and on to Cotignac.

Crossing the Durance River again, this time at Mirabeau. Old bridge supports remain in place where the new bridge has been constructed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking north across the Durance at a building anchored to a large rock beside the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we turned off the main highway and onto the smaller D11 road to travel south, we began in farming country that soon gave way to a nice stretch of forest as we made our way up and over the ridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It quickly became obvious that the wind was going to be a big factor in today's ride, fortunately for us in a positive way. Heading south the  wind, at times "boosting" us along with gusts of 65kmh, was generally at our backs  as we travelled through  a farming area that soon turned into a long stretch of winding road through a  forest. It really was a delightful ride with few cars sharing the road with us. There were many many signs along the way that said cars must pass cyclists with a 1.5 metre space. All drivers do this and I wish this requirement was adopted back in Canada. It is our observation that there is alot of courtesy extended by drivers  to cyclists in France. This was particularly noticeable today as we cycled mainly on larger, more travelled  roads.

Our route joined into the EV8. Always nice to find these designated cycling routes. This one is known as the Mediterranean route and is almost six thousand kms long.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pat is beside a roadside memorial for the French resistance of WWII. I took the picture to show the wind in the flag of France.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our coffee stop was in Rians  an easy 20 kms into the ride. We also took this opportunity to load up on more patisseries. Lunch was in the town square at Varages and we then carried on to  our destination of Cotignac .

This town fountain was beside our coffee stop in Rians. These fountains were a critical part of life many years ago. It is great to see so many still in operation but most often with a sign, "non potable".
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch spot in the town square.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An neat building in the square where we had lunch.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Arriving at Cotignac through the "back door" we went down a twisting lane down so steep we had to walk our bikes. Scott's brakes squealed loudly in agony. Sorry no pictures here, but it was steep and we will definitely be leaving from the front door.

Looking at the town of Cotignac from above just before we left the highway.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cliff area just behind our B&B that rings one side of the town. Great home for the birds.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We found it tricky to  locate our B&B as it is in the old part where the streets are narrow, steep and primarily accessed by stairs.  This was a reat place to stop and explore for the night. After a little housekeeping, we set off on a walk about.   The town was not very big so I think we saw most of it in an hour and then settled in at one of the two bars in town.

Cool alleyways that you find in these steep hilly towns. I like the way the stoops to the people's front doors are raised to allow water to drain down the sides of the alley.
Heart 2 Comment 0
More water fountains. Cotignac had many still working.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Old building facade.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The bar was full of Brits and soon Richard, who had moved here seven years ago from Oxford, explained what life in a small town with 300 days of sun annually was like.  Sounded pretty fine!!  He advises he will soon be applying for a Scottish passport to keep his EU travel seamless!

Dinner was a smoked salmon pizza, chicken risotto, salad and a chocolate brownie for dessert. Seems like a bit of an odd combination but it was delicious and was met by a couple of big appetites tonight. We were pleased that we completed the ride, explored the town and made it to a proper dinner in a restaurant at the right time. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 261 km (162 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Patty FitzgeraldSounds like you are having a wonderful trip. Enjoying the blog.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago