Eyguieres to Mirabeau - It's late September and I really should be back on tour - CycleBlaze

September 30, 2018

Eyguieres to Mirabeau

two very pretty villages and a chateau

We have begun to settle on 08:30 am as our start for breakfast. It's perhaps a bit leisurely but it seems to work well for our hosts and temperatures are just starting to warm up when we  are ready to leave. Today's breakfast at Le Demere worked out  pefectly as the sun was just clearing the the trees in the backyard as we sat outside (jackets on) beside the pool. We stuffed ourselves with various types  of bead, homemade yogurt and jam. Pat had an egg and the charcuterie serving was fabulous. This certainly made up for our  weak performance at dinner last night!  We were sent on our way with full bellies as well as ice in our water bottles specially prepared by our host. We were treated very well at this very lovely home.

Pat pulling a rabbit out of her hat as we prepare to leave.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The ride today would take us slightly north and east back toward the Apilles and to several small villages. The cycling was again mainly on  country backroads as well as some time on a specially designated Luberon cycle route. We were concerned about the build up of clouds and the possibility of forecasted thundershowers but they never materialized.

La pont de Mallemort crossing la Durance River. The suspension bridge is out of order. It is a historical monument of Bouches-du-Rhone
Heart 1 Comment 0
Citroën 2 CV. These cars are so France. They were manufactued for 40 years and the last production was in 1988. Lots still around and they are a bit of a cult car. Ones in reasonable shape can cost 10K euros. I like how this one just parks almost completely on the sidewalk.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Perfect food truck opportunity.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The first leg took us again throgh some country roads as we headed for one of the few crossings of the Durance River at Mallemort. Once across the river  we rode up to the town of Lauris and on to a small coffee shop / bar in Merindol.  This  looked to be place where the local guys get together Sunday morning to watch the horse races and escape the family. Likely their idea of church! 

No one really visable here, but this was a very busy place and we enjoyed our coffee in the sun.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We resumed our ride and after a few minutes Scott had that "did I put my wallet away moment?" No wallet - he raced back to the coffee shop. Inside he asked about a wallet - heart starting to pound. Not sure if anyone understood his pleas but they seemed concerned. Such a relief when he found it in a rarely used back pocket!! - Everyone laughed. Back on our way. Next stop was Lourmarin where we enjoyed a very delicious brick oven pizza for lunch. 

Lourmarin main street. A small, pretty town. Lots of people out and about on this Sunday morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Next stop on today's ride was another pretty French town, Cuceron. They really are beautiful old towns woth lots of people out enjoying the wonderful early fall weather.

A very large pond is the center of Cuceron. The Coi fish were being fed by diners as they had their own lunches at the outdoor restaurants that ring the pond.
Heart 2 Comment 0

 We then turned our route south and were thankful to be moving away from the gathering dark clouds as well as for the exciting 10km downhill that came along with it! The next view we saw was the Chateau  Ansouis - of course this required a bit of a climb as only hilltops were safe in the middle ages. 

A lovely ride and view up to the Chateau Ansouis.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view of the surrounding area as Pat waits for Scott to return from even further up the hill.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was a long day in the saddle today as we carried on to La Tour d'Aigues  and  one last hill  late in the day enroute to Mirabeau. We arrived at our destination just beyond Mirabeau at 6pm and found ourselves  the only people in the hotel. The manager was waiting for us, he took us around the building, handed us the keys and left. We wandered around the large, converted 16 century building all by ourselves. This hotel was really out of the way but it  met the daily distance requirements.  As  a result, we were depending on being able to have dinner there.  And a most interesting dinner we had!!  The system at the hotel was that  you buy prepared dishes from the manager, prepare them to your liking, eat in the dining room and then do your dishes!  It was a surprisingly fun and delicious meal albeit totally on our own.   It felt slightly eerie as we turned in for the night.

Last couple of days riding.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 199 km (124 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonReally enjoying your journal. It brings back so many memories of our past tours in the region. We spent a night in Cuceron ourselves back in the summer of 2003, and the next day watched Lance and the USPS team streak past through a nearby village, back when they were still heroes.

I can’t believe your dinner experience in this hotel! That’s never happened to us. We’d starve if we had to cook our own supper.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Rachael AndersonWonderful journal! Sounds like your Scott is like my Scott about misplacing things. Hopefully he’s not as bad. Have a wonderful trip.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago