Jan. 28 - Feb. 2, Bangkok: Love it? Hate it? - Cycling in Thailand North to South - CycleBlaze

January 28, 2010 to February 2, 2010

Jan. 28 - Feb. 2, Bangkok: Love it? Hate it?

The departure date has finally rolled around. We lock the front door and say good-bye to Munich and its snow. Our panniers are packed in two large duffle bags with wheels, the Bike Fridays are folded and in their Samsonite suitcases. We're ready to fly, the bikes are ready to fly.

Our airplane isn't ready to fly. It never sounds good when your airplane needs repairs, but they were obviously minor, and after a four hour delay we take off.

The Bike Fridays are in their suitcases, our panniers and handlebar bags are in duffle bags with wheels - all in all, a fairly manageable combination.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The four-hour delay in Munich is a good excuse for an early glass of wine. I think the color of the notebook might be called burgundy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Finally - we have risen above the stress of leaving.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Upon arrival, the bags and bikes are soon on the lugage conveyor and we get a taxi to our hotel, booked online. What we didn't know was that the hotel is at the end of a long, narrow alley, too narrow for a car to enter. This is Bangkok. Here we are very glad our bags all have little wheels.

The following days we spend trying to get over our jetlag in this city of sensory overload. We are bomarded by heat, humidity, noise, crowds, sights, smells, foods - stimuli for all the senses - some good, some not so good.

Our program is to take it easy and amuse ourselves in Bangkok for a few days before we take the train to the north. We take boats, buses, the Sky Train, tuk-tuks and we walk and walk. We visit the popular Jim Thompson House, the zoo, the Bangkok Art and Culture Center, giant shopping malls, but not so many temples this time around. And of course never without our cameras.

The nocturnal photographer: Janos and his monopod
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the most pleasant forms of transportation in Bangkok.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rental bikes - I'm not sure if they've caught on yet. If not, I can understand people's apprehension about cycling Bangkok's streets.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some Bangkok streets look disarmingly provincial.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Other streets are disconcertingly busy with pink taxi cabs everywhere.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bangkok's Sky Train avoids the city's pollution and traffic jams, pedestrian overpasses get you across the street safely.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Public art outside of the Bangkok Art and Culture Center
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shot from inside the Bangkok Art and Culture Center, opened in July 2008, a museum for contemporary art reminiscent of New York's Guggenheim.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the Bangkok Art and Culture Center looking out
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lush vegetation in the Jim Thompson House gardens
The Jim Thompson House consists of a complex of six traditional Thai-style houses, teak structures that were purchased from several owners and brought to the present location from various parts of Thailand.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dazzling blossoms in the Jim Thomson House gardens
Heart 1 Comment 0
On our way back to our guest house we stroll through the grounds of Wat Mahatat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met this handsome fellow at the zoo. I wouldn't want to meet him anywhere else.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I wonder if Thailand's jungles would have any of these specimens.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My, so many wrinkles
Heart 0 Comment 0
Family fun at the zoo: No, the elephants here are not real.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are happy that our time in Bangkok coincides with Bill Weir's (www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/AsianJourney) stay here. We met in Bangkok three years ago and he gave us our first and very valuable tips for cycling in Thailand. I am much in awe of Bill's travels and feel very humble with our tame endeavours.

We met Bill three years ago in Bangkok, this year our paths crossed again. Me, Bill Weir and Janos
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0