W ernfeld - W ertheim - Spring Tour in Bavaria 2010 - Part 3 - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2010

W ernfeld - W ertheim

A beautiful ride today, interesting places along the way but what really makes the day is the flawless weather. If bad weather teaches you to appreciate good weather, we have learned our lesson well. I could shout whoopeee all day long.

A gorgeous day
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGood weather DEFINITELY helps when bike touring!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

A sprinkling of bright buttercups provides a new wave of yellow while the dandelions of early spring are now blowballs and the yellow fields of rapeseed are slowly turning green.

Buttercups now dot the meadows.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The rape seed fields are slowly turning green.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, looks like the "Yellow Brick Road" of flowers!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The dandelions were the first to come and are the first to go.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The first town we pass through is Gemünden where the Main changes its direction and heads south which means that we are in for a pleasant tail wind all the way to Wertheim. In the lovely little town of Lohr, with medieval town center and beautiful half-timbered houses, we discover the hoards of cyclists that I had expected. I knew they had to be somewhere.

Lohr
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lohr
Heart 1 Comment 0
The white and red vegetables in the foreground are radishes.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI've never seen radishes like those!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lohr
Heart 0 Comment 0
Having a chat on the way home from the market
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we ride along the Main, we have the densely wooded hills of the Spessart forest to our right and left and I tend to think this is the prettiest part of the Main Bike Path so far.

The dense forests of the Spessart hills accompany us all of today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Main now has little resemblance with its source, a mere trickle, which we cycled to at the beginning of the Main Bike Path.
Heart 2 Comment 0
More vineyards
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch stop
Heart 1 Comment 0
We cross over to Baden-Württemberg from Bavaria for a short stretch. The marker is made the red sandstone which is commonly found in the area.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our senior-citizen pace isn't always compatible with Rachel's youthful energy. But she is patient. She rides with us for a while and then when our pokiness and frequent stops to take pictures get to be too much for her, she speeds on ahead.

Rachel waits for us at intersections to make sure we don't lose each other.
Heart 0 Comment 0

At the end of the day we reach Wertheim, another town that wants to be looked at. It is located at the confluence of the Main and the Tauber, has a historical old town and a castle that you can climb up to if you feel up to it. Janos and I don't, Rachel still has some excess energy to burn.

Wertheim, our last stop of the day
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rachel on her way up to the castle
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wertheim
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wertheim
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0