Ebensfeld - Bamberg: We part ways with the Main - Spring Tour in Bavaria 2010 - Part 1 - CycleBlaze

April 9, 2010

Ebensfeld - Bamberg: We part ways with the Main

It's a little chillier this morning and it takes a while for the sun to come out. Forecast for tomorrow is rain which determines our plans for the day: On to Bamberg and then catch the train back to Munich.

Our super Pension Veitsberg in Ebensfeld
Heart 1 Comment 0
We snap a picture of the church in Ebensfeld before we leave.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Main River picture for the day, taken from the bridge after leaving Ebensfeld
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sandstone church and houses in Kemmern
Heart 0 Comment 0

It's a short ride which we make shorter by taking a country road to avoid the dirt path following the train tracks as recommended by the Main Bike Route. This was a good decision since there was almost no traffic and we can sail along to Breitengüssbach with the wind at our backs. We then pick up the bicycle route on bike paths to Bamberg.

Wayside crucifix on the bike path
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sky is clouding over and the air is getting cooler.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bamberg: View from the Markus Bridge over the Regnitz River which flows into the Main
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Town of Bamberg is listed as a World Heritage Site and there are many historical monuments worth visiting. However, we want to get the train to Munich and know we will be returning to Bamberg when we continue our tour along the Main - hopefully soon. We limit ourselves to a visit to the picturesque Altes Brückenrathaus, Old Town Hall, on a bridge over the Regnitz River. Yes, this time it's the Regnitz and not the Main.

Bamberg's Altes Brückenrathaus, Old Townhall (1386), built in the middle of the Regnitz River and accessible by two bridges
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rottmeisterhaus, connected to the Altes Brückenrathaus (Old Townhall), on the bridge over the Regnitz River
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bike Friday getting some more attention: In Germany folding bikes, "Klappräder", were a fad about 30 (40?) years ago. They were cheap and heavy bikes, usually used for little more than picking up a loaf of bread at the local bakery. Today folders still have that image in most people's minds and we are often pitied for traveling on such "inferior" bikes. If they only knew ...
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI'm sure you've sung many praises about the Bike Friday to curious people! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janos on the bridge leading to the Altes Brückenrathaus (Old Townhall), Bamberg
Heart 1 Comment 0
End of the trip but hope to be back soon.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Before the summer and more ambitious bicycle adventures have us in thrall, we hope to have a few more sunny spring days for cycling along the Main.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0