Introduction: The Main Valley Bicycle Path - Spring Tour in Bavaria 2010 - Part 1 - CycleBlaze

Introduction: The Main Valley Bicycle Path

Let me introduce the Maintal Radweg  or Main Valley Bicycle Path. This 600-km long cycle route is the second most popular bike path in Germany, the first being the Elbe Radweg. (And if you're interested, the Danube Bike Path which is probably best known outside of Germany, comes in seventh.)

The bike path starts at the sources of the Weisser Main and the Roter Main, you have your choice at which of the two sources to start your tour, and follows the many curves of the river until it flows into the Rhine at Mainz. The paths on the part we cycled, and I understand the rest is the same, were excellent and the sign posting perfect. We wouldn't have needed a map or GPS. We were well prepared, though, and had the bikeline book, published by Esterbauer, and also a GPS track (which you can download from the Main Radweg website).

My husband has also published his journal on our trip in German. The same trip from a different perspective and different pictures.

Below is a map showing the course of the Main and its location in Germany. I'll also post interactive maps of our daily rides on the day-to-day entries.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0