Day 2 - Nauders to Prad: Into the Blue - Riding the Reschen Pass to Italy - CycleBlaze

September 26, 2010

Day 2 - Nauders to Prad: Into the Blue

I would be lying if I said the weather looked any different today than it did yesterday. The clouds were thick milky masses hanging threateningly close to the valley floor. We cycled to the bus station in a light drizzle. Four additional cyclists were waiting for the bus to ride up the 500 meters to Nauders and we hoped there would be room for all of us. The bus arrived with a trailer that would have been able to transport many more, thirty maybe.

A grey morning: on the way to the bus
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bus with trailer: a little help up the mountain
Heart 3 Comment 3
Scott AndersonIs that a coffee thermos on that Bike Friday?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonJust a regular water bottle, as I recall.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Charmaine RuppoltI see a couple of Bike Friday bikes there! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We reached Nauders after a one-and-a-half-hour bus ride, snow-capped mountains to either side. That was an easy 500 meters with our bikes. Gaining altitude also meant losing degrees on the thermometer and we put on our parkas and gloves. The bike route climbed another 100 meters, a gentle climb but enough to warm us up, to the Austrian-Italian border. A blue patch of sky lay ahead in the cleavage of the mountains, luring us on, southward, to Italy. And the blue patch of sky grew and we rode into the blue hole.

Leaving Nauders
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beautiful peaks behind the clouds
Heart 2 Comment 0
Blue sky in South Tyrol beckons.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Made it to the top of the pass, the border, Italy!
Heart 3 Comment 0
What a bike path!
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWonder if the wind slanted that sign?!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We reached Reschen Pass and then Reschen Lake, a reservoir created in 1949 by damming three existing lakes. In doing so several hamlets were flooded. A single church steeple remained standing to raise its accusing finger from the depths of the lake, admonishing not to forget that once a village existed here, centuries old. Generations walked the streets that are now drowned and forgotten.

Reschen in the background
Heart 3 Comment 0
Reschen Lake
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, the weather got really nice for you all! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Reschen Lake
Heart 1 Comment 0
Reschen Lake
Heart 2 Comment 1
There was once a village here.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, that's wild....
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janos, a speck at the foot of the mountains
Heart 3 Comment 0
Perfect path, perfect weather, perfect scenery
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltBet you were glad to carry on with your plans instead of staying home in the rain! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The path climbs a bit along Lake Haider.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Painted facades in Laatsch
Heart 2 Comment 0
St. Florian, protect our house from fire!
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of many fortresses along the way
Heart 2 Comment 1

Unverhofft, one succinct word in German that described the day. It's more than surprising or unexpected, it's 'unhoped', 'not hopeable', something you hadn't dared hope for. Was it the beauty of the valley or the magnificent weather that we hadn't even dared hope for that made this day one of the most beautiful bicycle rides that I could remember?

Happy biker
Heart 3 Comment 0
In South Tyrol both German and Italian are official languages.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Approaching Glurns
Heart 2 Comment 0

The bicycle path descended and we rolled. A north wind blew us toward our destination, where ever that was for the day. Our progress was only hindered by our excessive stops to take pictures. We finished the day in Prad and took a room in Gasthof Neue Post.

In Glurns
Heart 2 Comment 0
You can't get lost on this bike path.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Scott AndersonUnverhofft. What a beautiful word. I’ll have to remember it.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago