Pisa - Lucca - Touring Tuscany - CycleBlaze

April 27, 2009

Pisa - Lucca

We are relieved to see it isn't raining any more, but it is very grey indeed. Heading out of town, it would be easy to find the main thoroughfares to Pisa, but to the small road with hopefully less traffic we must pick our way from town to town - Ponteserchio, Vecchiano, Filettole, Nozzano.

As we were studying our maps on the side of the road, this gentleman stopped to help. He even offered to accompany us all the way to Lucca to show us the way. Since we are such slowpokes and like to stop often for pictures, we declined his friendly offer.
Heart 0 Comment 0

For the first ten kilometers on this road, a thin white line on the map, the morning traffic is heavy, there is no shoulder and the surface is often buckled and pot-holed. This makes going slow as we rattle over the bumps and the cars zoom by. Eventually the road improves and the countryside becomes more interesting.

Here an example of the bad road surface
Heart 0 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltOh my goodness - - yes, that is a very rutted and rough road to bike on!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Of course I waited for the cars to pass before I snapped the picture. It looks like there was hardly any traffic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not much room if someone wanted to pass me
Heart 0 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltAck! Yes that's a narrow road.... :(
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
After we got past the initial flat stretch, the countryside was very pleasing
Heart 0 Comment 0
This time the church is on the tower instead of the other way around
Heart 1 Comment 0

About four kilometers before reaching Lucca, just as the traffic starts to pick up again, we are delighted to discover a dirt bike path following the river Serchio.

The bike path along the Serchio which we can follow the last few kilometers to Lucca
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNice! A welcomed relief to bike on this bike path!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

It was a short ride and we pass through a gate of the great wall of Lucca around 10 a.m.

We have reached the impressive walled city Lucca
Heart 1 Comment 0
We enter the city through this gate
Heart 1 Comment 0

The historical centre of Lucca lies within a unique wall system. These walls were built as a defence against Lucca's traditional enemy, Florence, but were never in fact put to the test in war. However, they have saved Lucca when the river Serchio flooded its banks.

After finding a room and changing our clothes, we take a look around town. Here we are on a path on top of the massive walls encircling Lucca. The walls are so wide that a park and wide path for walking and cycling can easily be accomodated.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the afternoon it starts to drizzle. Here, again, on Lucca's famous wall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This picture gives an idea of the dimensions of the wall. In the past century, the wall was even used for a number of years for racing cars.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 27 km (17 miles)
Total: 146 km (91 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0