Kelheim - Regensburg - To France the Long Way - CycleBlaze

June 6, 2009

Kelheim - Regensburg

It rained all night and the morning is overcast. But the breakfast is as cheery as they get. Our room is in a hotel with its own cafe and pastry/bakery shop and the breakfast is well done with fresh fruit, cheese and cold cuts in addition to good bread and croissants. Two tandem cyclists from Holland seated at the table next to us are on their way to Vienna on the Danube Bike Path. They ask us where we are headed and expect us to answer either Passau or Vienna. When we say Berlin, they are amazed. Isn't everyone cycling to Passau or Vienna?

Our hotel in Kelheim with the cafe below
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our route is pleasant in spite of the wet weather. For much of the way to Regensburg our route hugs the Danube. In Regensburg it starts raining in earnest and we decide to take a room in the hopes that tomorrow will be better.

Leaving Kelheim along the Danube
Heart 0 Comment 0

For some unrealistically optimistic reason, I didn't bring waterproof rainpants with me. In Regensburg I have the opportunity to buy this imortant article of clothing and in the subsequent days get to use the pants often. A wise purchase.

We find a room for a price above the average, but not exorbitant. The room is spacious and near the center of town. I discover that I am tired from the first days of cycling and sleep most of the afternoon. I also ponder what the heck is this trip all about. All winter we dreamed and planned, bought a new tent and decided to add cooking gear to our set up. When you're dreaming, weight is irrelevant, age is irrelevant, weather is irrelevant. There is just the longing. And today, the third day, I'm wondering if this undertaking is going to be any fun at all. And if not, what then?

View from our hotel window
Heart 0 Comment 0
Regensburger Dom
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 km (23 miles)
Total: 164 km (102 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0