Regensburg - Schwandorf - To France the Long Way - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2009

Regensburg - Schwandorf

I got a good night's sleep and the sun is shining. The touring life is looking better today. We're out of the hotel at 8:00 in search of breakfast - a bakery that serves coffee is usually easy enough to find. But not today because it's Sunday. The center of the old part of town is deserted, either everyone is still sleeping or in church, probably the former even if we are in Bavaria. With a bit of perserverance we find what we're looking for, Müller Bäckerei, a good alternative to the 10€ per person breakfast our hotel was offering.

We cross the Danube on an impressive pedestrian and bicycle bridge, follow the river for a short distance to the beginning of the Naab Valley which we can follow for the rest of the day, a lovely ride. I'm glad we saved the ride for today and didn't continue in yesterday's rain.

Leaving Regensburg, bridge across the Danube
Heart 1 Comment 0
This bridge is JUST for pedestrians and cyclists
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Naab
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty Jura rock formations in the Naab Valley
Heart 1 Comment 0
The path remains in the Naab Valley, close to the river
Heart 1 Comment 0

The summer is still young and the countryside clothed in all shades of green. It's cool, we have headwinds and I can comfortably wear my long-sleeved merino wool shirt under my jersey all day. The first 20 km are slow - are we climbing or are my legs just protesting? We are on the Naabtal-Radweg, a bicycle path that accompanies the Naab for about 100 km. The surface is either asphalt or hard-packed dirt, we pass through small patches of woods, grain fields, pastures.

Fresh green of early summer
Heart 0 Comment 0
We follow the Naab Bike Path
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sometimes it's slow travelling on loose gravel
Heart 0 Comment 0

There are lots of sights along the way: churches, a former monastery, castles, historic towns. When we arrive, the sun illluminates Schwandorf's market square, overhead are black clouds.

Former Monastery Pielenhofen, secularized in 1803
Heart 1 Comment 0
An old castle presides over Kallmünz; today the town is filled with crowds attending an Oldtimer Rallye
Heart 0 Comment 0
Market square in Schwandorf
Heart 1 Comment 0

We find a room in Gasthof Baier just in time to witness from our hotel window a fierce northwind as it sweeps down the valley, bringing a torrential downpour. It only lasts 20 minutes, then the sun comes out again, as if to say sorry, I didn't really mean it.

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 224 km (139 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0