Chiangmai: Outside the city walls - Touring in Thailand, Cambodia and China - CycleBlaze

January 24, 2008

Chiangmai: Outside the city walls

Our visas for China are ready. The efficiency here contradicts everything I had heard about getting visas. After the short ride to the Chinese consulate, we continue past the city moat surrounding the old part of Chinagmai towards the west. The traffic is dense and the air is heavy with exhaust fumes. After this ride, I feel my lungs will be tarred as if I had chain smoked for forty years.

Heart 0 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltOh that's not good to be inhaling all those car/scooter/truck fumes... :/
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Our first destination is Wat Umong, built by King Ku Na in 1380 and located on peaceful, wooded grounds. It is known for its series of catacomb-like tunnels once adorned with murals of forest scenes. As the legend goes, Jan, the King's favorite monk and adviser, loved the forest and was often not available when the King needed his advice. Therefore, he created a facsimile of Jan's preferred surroundings in tunnels underneath the chedi. Unfortunately, the murals have now deteriorated and we can't judge how tempting these tunnels might have been.

Chedi at Wat Umong
Heart 0 Comment 0
The shrines in the tunnels under the chedi are still used, but there are no more murals
Heart 0 Comment 0

As at many wats, a number of the trees on the temple grounds have Buddhist maxims, some with English approximations underneath.

Hmm ...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Who can fill in the missing words?
Heart 0 Comment 0

We also see a statue showing the emaciated Buddha after six years of fasting: He then renounced all extremes and proclaimed the Middle Path as means to enlightenment.

The fasting Buddha
Heart 0 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, never have seen a "fasting Buddha"!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

On the way back we stop at Wat Suan Dork, the Garden Temple. The main golden Chedi is surrounded by a garden of smaller white chedis, reminiscent of wedding cakes, which house the ashes of deceased members of the royal family. On the grounds there is also a smaller temple with elaborate murals depicting scenes from the Buddha's life.

Wat Suan Dork
Heart 0 Comment 0
I won't wake them
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wat Suan Dork
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have found a simple and cheap restaurant a few steps from our hotel. If they could keep their promise on the sign, I might always eat there. But we have been going farther afield as there are so many tempting places to eat in this town.

We like eating here and if they could only keep their promise I would always eat here
Heart 0 Comment 0
I just love this Thai food - oops, wrong picture
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oops, wrong picture again. This was our sushi evening.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0