Day 8: Aarau - Solothurn: In the valley of the River Aare - From Munich to the Mediterranean and More - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2006

Day 8: Aarau - Solothurn: In the valley of the River Aare

Nothing like a good night's sleep. We spend a good part of the morning pedaling around the pretty little town of Aarau. Today is the first day of school vacation and is celebrated as "Children's Day". The town is being decorated with garlands and flowers for the festival.

Aarau
Heart 0 Comment 0
Aarau: Decorating the town for "Children's Day"
Heart 1 Comment 0
Window in Aarau: Swiss flag and typical painted shutters
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today our route follows the River Aare. In the beginning the weather is grey and cool, a welcome change, the scenery is not sensational but pleasant and mostly flat.

Nice scenery, nice bike path
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stop in Olten and as we admire the wooden covered bridge, we are approached by an elderly man from the area, proud of the local sights and rightly so. When we reach Aarburg we should be sure to have a look at a special natural phenomenon, a giant whirlpool in the river. Which we do. We certainly would have missed it without his good advice.

Covered bridge in Olten
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the way to Solothurn
Heart 0 Comment 0

At the end of the day headwinds, we welcome the town of Solothurn, bigger than Aarau and equally as interesting. In the historic part of town the streets are crowded with pedestrians, again it seems everyone is on vacation and out to enjoy the mild evening.

Street music in Solothurn
Heart 1 Comment 0

Switzerland generally lives up to its reputation for being very expensive. We stay in Hotel Kreuz, simple but for Switzerland not expensive. With breakfast we pay 90 SFR (about 60 Euros).

Hotel Kreuz, where we stayed in Solothurn
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 466 km (289 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0