Day 27: Villenouvelle - Gratentour: Through Toulouse to the Canal Lateral - From Munich to the Mediterranean and More - CycleBlaze

August 5, 2006

Day 27: Villenouvelle - Gratentour: Through Toulouse to the Canal Lateral

The morning is cool, 14°C. For the first time my sleeping bag wasn't warm enough in the night. We leave early. Fortunately we paid last night and don't have to hang around until someone gets up. We find a bakery in the town but no coffee to warm us. We're soon back on the canal and now wish it weren't quite so shady, we welcome the warming rays of the sun.

Canal du Midi approaching Toulouse: Now a double row of plane trees
Heart 1 Comment 0

Another first: bicycle problems. Janos discovers that one of his bowden cables is frayed and about to give out. He can ride but he can't shift gears. After 20 km on the canal in our first town, Montgiscard, we find coffee but no bicycle shop. To get to Auzeville where we will find a bicycle shop we must leave the canal. The mechanic at the bicycle shop is efficient and charges very little. While he repairs Janos's bike, I drool over a beautiful mint-green Bianchi racing bike on display. Now, that would be a nice change from fat tires and panniers.

The towns along the way aren't particularly pretty but the ride offers variety, the canal is scenic but a bit monotonous. However, we return to the canal as it takes us into the center of Toulouse, no hassle with cars. Once we are in the center, a friendly cyclist stops, offers us his services and guides us to the Church of St. Sernin. Toulouse is a lovely city. Why don't we stay longer? What is our hurry?

In Toulouse
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cathedral in Toulouse
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Canal du Midi ends in Toulouse and the Canal Latéral à la Garonne is the continuation to Bordeaux. The first section can't compete with the Canal du Midi. A freeway is on one side and stinky industry and railroad tracks on the other. It improves after a while and I must admit it is a very comfortable route for getting out of the city.

End of the Canal du Midi in Toulouse
Heart 1 Comment 0

Again Janos chooses a campground in our camping guide some distance from the canal. The campgrounds along the canal are few and far between and this seemed to be the best choice. We ride all over the place trying to find Gratentour, and then there is no campground. However, we do find a little hotel where I sleep very well, probably a lot better than in the tent.

Today's ride: 64 km (40 miles)
Total: 1,596 km (991 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0