Day 15: Beaurepaire - Valence: Tailwinds from now on ... - From Munich to the Mediterranean and More - CycleBlaze

July 13, 2006

Day 15: Beaurepaire - Valence: Tailwinds from now on ...

Again we get an early start. We have tailwinds and move along at a good pace. As long as we keep going the heat is ok, when we stop we need shade and the sweat pours off us.

The road leaving Beaurepair
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tournon-sur-Rhone: a stop in the shade
Heart 1 Comment 0

Soon, at St. Vallier, we will have to take a larger road which follows the Rhone, on the map a red road. So far we have been able to stay on white and yellow roads. On either side of the Rhone there is a major artery and we ask which side would be better for cycling. Without hesitating, the man at the tourist office says to stay on the west side, there would be much less traffic. We follow his advice and get onto the N 86.

Crossing to the west side of the Rhone at St. Vallier
Heart 0 Comment 0

The N 86 is a large road but the traffic isn't bad and sometimes we have a shoulder. The tailwinds continue, this north wind is predictable and can be counted on the whole time we are in the Valley of the Rhone. This adds to our cycling pleasure considerably.

The N 86: On the west side of the Rhone
Heart 1 Comment 0

In the early afternoon we cross to the other side of the Rhone to Valence. Without hunting we see a sign for Hotel Park, conveniently located close to the bridge and in walking distance of the old part of town. Again that unpleasant moment comes when I have to walk into the lobby in my biking shorts, feeling grimy, with my sweaty hair sticking to my skull in the worst helm-head fashion to ask if they have a room. In this case the hotel owner is a fanatic cyclist himself and I am received with much sympathy. He tells me that he took a little 90-km spin this morning before breakfast.

Valence has a beautiful Romanesque Cathedral and a large traffic-free old town, which makes it a wonderful place for strolling, window shopping, stopping for a coffee and people-watching. Outdoor cafés and restaurants abound, it's a lively scene.

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 928 km (576 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0