Matera to Massafra - Early spring in southern Italy - CycleBlaze

May 16, 2006

Matera to Massafra

On the way to Castellaneta, the first town on today's route, the country we ride through is pleasant, neither boring nor spectacular, and there is little traffic.

More abandoned houses in ruins
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the way to Massafra
Heart 2 Comment 0

Castellaneta is the birthplace of Rudolph Valentino. "The Sheik", released in 1921, was the movie that catapulted Rodolfo to stardom, and depicted in this role he is commemorated in his hometown.

Lady Diane: Why - why have you brought me here? / Ahmed: Mon Dieu, are you not woman enough to know? / ***Quote from "The Sheik"
Heart 3 Comment 0

Otherwise Castellaneta is a quiet town with a supermarket which we welcome for providing us with supplies for a picnic and a shady piazza where we can enjoy our meal.

Found a shady spot on the town square for our picnic
Heart 1 Comment 0
Picnic
Heart 3 Comment 0

A long downhill ride into plains covered with vineyards, olive groves and orange orchards follows. As we approach Massafra the air in the afternoon heat is heavy with the perfume of orange blossoms.

Road approaching Massafra
Heart 0 Comment 0

Massafra stands on either side of a deep ravine which separates the old and new city. As in Matera, the many natural caves have been used for dwellings and churches since earliest times.

Massafra
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 171 km (106 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0