Bitonto to Castel del Monte - Early spring in southern Italy - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2006

Bitonto to Castel del Monte

Our last day on our bikes. We are on our way back to the B&B where we left our car. A quiet narrow road between olive groves takes us to Terlizzi, a pretty town, and then we go on to Ruvo. Ruvo deserves a stop for its Romanesque church, historical buildings and museum.

Road leaving Bitonto
Heart 0 Comment 0

We also prolong our stop due to another bout of the trots that keeps me tethered to a café with a WC. I am very reluctant to leave the security of this place before the Imodium tablet takes effect.

Ruvo occupies the site of the ancient Rubi, which was once a flourishing Greek town famous in the 5th-3rd century BC for its potteries, styled after Corinthian and Attic black-and-red-figure vases. In the Palazzo Jatta is a famous and beautiful collection of classical Greek vases and pottery found in the Apulian tombs around the city. This is a pleasant and interesting museum to visit, even if you're not into Greek vases.

Jatta Museum in Ruvo
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taking one more rest in the shade before we reach Sei Carri, the B&B where we started out. The garage advertised on the side of this building we don't need, but the shower, restaurant and bar would be welcome.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our trip is over. When we return to Sei Carri the fields which were covered with wild flowers when we left two weeks ago are now turning brown. As a new season approaches, a new face of the Apulian landscape is revealed.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 741 km (460 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0