Warrumbungles NP - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

April 6, 2024 to April 7, 2024

Warrumbungles NP

Saturday the 6th of April 2024

It was good to be back on the road again after the weather break in Coonabarabran.   A quiet road through attractive countryside with a few 'roos, wallabies and our first sightings of emu made it even more enjoyable.   There was no shortage of climbing - about seven hundred and forty meters of it taking us from five hundred meters to eleven hundred and twenty and then back down to four hundred and sixty.  I'm not sure if we'll reach any higher elevation again until we get to Cairns. 

The first fifteen kilometers was in rain varying from drizzle to lets-take-cover-now. As it cleared the Warrumbungles started to show themselves.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A flatter section after almost two kilometers of more than ten percent gradient. Leigh being sensible about it as usual.
Heart 4 Comment 0

There was a wonderful array of creative post boxes all along the route out of Coonabarabran.   Here are some of my favourites.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The distance from our digs in Coonabarabran to Camp Blackman in the Warrumbungles National Park was only thirty six kilometers but once we got to the the top of the climb on the Timor Road Leigh was determined to tackle the last two hundred and seventy meters over just four kilometers to the Siding Spring  Observatory.   There were a few tough sections but it was all rideable.   I only realized how steep it was when we headed back down to the Timor Road.  Despite the extra climbing and the eight kilometer diversion it was the cherry on the top of a great ride.

The Anglo-Australian Telescope at the Siding Spring Observatory in the distance.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Of course, as we approached the Observatory we passed the virtual planets closer to the sun.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Sun is at the observatory itself.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Visitors to the observatory can enjoy the informative visitors center as well as have a peak inside the Anglo-Australian Telescope.  Guides are also available for tours of the facilities. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 1
Rich FrasierHow cool that they let you inside!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

The views from the observatory over the Warrumbungles were a highlight for me.

Heart 3 Comment 0
The well known Bread Knife inselberg top left in this picture.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Closer to the Bread Knife on the way down to Camp Blackman
Heart 3 Comment 0

We spent an hour or so at the observatory before an easy run down to Camp Blackman.  We're here for two nights.  The camp is a bit of a mess because they are renovating the ablution facilities. Some rather primitive facilities have been provided in the interim.  We'll do some walking tomorrow - really hoping to spot a Koala but I'm not betting my life on it 

Sunday the 7th of April 2024

Daylight saving came to an end last night in New South Wales so the sun rose at the correct time this morning, most of which was spent walking in the vain hope of spotting a koala.  However,  the birding was good at times.

The Bread Knife is visible through the trees from Camp Blackman.
Heart 2 Comment 0
White-faced Heron (Egretta novaehollandiae).
Heart 1 Comment 0
A flock of Apostlebirds (Struthidea cinerea) has visited our camp a few times. They are clearly camp birds and used to scavenging around humans.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Interestingly, they got involved in some alogrooming, not a common thing amongst birds.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Apostlebirds hanging around hopefully.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bennett's wallaby (Notamacropus rufogriseus)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of Eastern Grey Kangaroos.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we (might) head for Gulargambone, directly west of the Warrumbungles. 

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 1,197 km (743 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0