Morton National Park - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

March 13, 2024

Morton National Park

We were on the road on the stroke of seven thirty, by far our earliest so far.  It helped that there was no dew last night and we had a dry tent to pack up.

The six kilometers to the bottom of the escarpment passed without much effort.  However the climb started with a twelve percent gradient and Leigh was soon waking her bike.  Nonetheless the beautiful surroundings took some of the edge off the discomfort.

Ominous signs regarding cyclist safety near the bottom of the climb.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking down on Kangaroo Valley.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Leigh's last bit of walking before her guardian angel arrived.
Heart 5 Comment 0

After about only a kilometer and a half of climbing Leigh's wish was granted and a kind gentleman offered her a lift.  It took  bit of effort to squeeze the bicycles into the canopy of his ute with my rear light being a casualty of forcing too much stuff into too small an area.

Phillip, who kindly gave us a lift.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We were dropped off at the Fitzroy Falls Reservoir where we took some time off to take in the falls and the view from the top of the escarpment.  We had now gained a couple of hours so we bypassed our original destination of Moss Vale and headed for the Morton National Park  just outside Bundanoon.

Fitzroy Falls.
Heart 6 Comment 0
View from Fitzroy Falls.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We still had a few steepish bumps from Fitzroy Falls to the Gambells Rest campground at the National Park.   After stocking up with some grub and a couple of beers, we setup camp and I wasted a few hours trying to repair my self deflating mattress, with no success.

There was some nice birding around the campground. Highlight was a family group of Superb Fairy-wrens (Malurus cyaneus). Very difficult to photograph in dull light as the sun was setting.
Heart 6 Comment 0

The unseasonal mini heatwave is forecast to come to an end tomorrow with rain forecast for the afternoon so we have booked accommodation for tomorrow  night in Marulan which lies between here and Gouldburn, the next large town on the way to Canberra.  Hopefully I will be able to find a replacement mattress there. 

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 254 km (158 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0