Gerroa - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

March 9, 2024

Gerroa

Apart from the jazz and blues festival, Kiama was also hosting a beach tag rugby competition with the food trucks providing the day's grub being sited within touching distance of our tent.  Setting up the food trucks started at about six o’clock this morning.  Consequently we were up before sunrise, taking refuge in the campground kitchen a bit further away from rhe food trucks.

We lazed around in the kitchen for a few hours and eventually only got going some time after ten, starting off with a stiff climb out of Kiama.  It was the rising temperature that got us on the road - another day close to thirty degrees with high humidity. 

Today's ride was very short due to the need to have a campsite booked while in the coastal area south of Sydney over the weekends.  I imagine a lot of Canberra folk make their way to the coast over weekends as well although I have seen few ACT registered vehicles. 

One advantage of a short day is that we only had a few hills to suffer.  This area is reminiscent of Cornwall and Devon in south-west England in that anything off the M1 highway either goes straight up or down a steep hill.

View from the Mount Pleasant view point.
Heart 6 Comment 0

The campground just south of Gorroa isn't particularly inspiring but at least we have a place to pitch the tent tonight and it does have a nice pool.

The campground's redeeming feature.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We're finding this area very busy with lots of people and traffic. We are looking forward to be heading away from the coast tomorrow - hopefully it will be a bit quieter.

Today's ride: 18 km (11 miles)
Total: 168 km (104 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Graham SmithYesterday (Monday) was a public holiday in Canberra so many more Canberrans than usual headed to the coast.
It’s been busy here in Canberra too. It’s Canberra Festival time of year.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Graham SmithYou probably have researched a route but one of several options is to ride to Kangaroo Valley, then up Cambewarra Mt. It’s a big climb but there’s no easy way up the scarp to the highlands.

There’s a good campground in Kangaroo Valley (a popular touristy village) near the river. Better check and book as I haven’t been there for several years.

Further south, there’s a quieter backroads route from near Nowra to Nerriga. I rode from Canberra to Nowra via that Nerriga route a couple of months ago.

There are coastal back road routes to Nowra. Via Seven Mile beach. It’d be worth checking with local cyclists which is the most bike friendly route.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago