Dubbo - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

March 30, 2024 to March 31, 2024

Dubbo

Saturday the 30th of March 2024

We were supposed to go to Ballimore today but ended up in Dubbo.  More on that later.

The local Coles opened at six o’clock this morning so after a couple of cups of coffee I rode back into town to stock up for the next few days.  Lots of things needed a full replacement  - milk powder, rice, muesli etc - and along with some fresh carrots and potatoes the rackpack in which I keep the groceries is properly full and the bicycle is once again close to its heaviest.

The road to Ballimore is  according to Komoot, flat and only about around forty five kilometers so there was no need to rush our departure.   It was still cool by the time we got going sometime after nine but we knew it would get into the low thirties in the afternoon.  A few of kilometers out of Wellington, just as we were about to take the turnoff to Ballimore, we were were greeted with the following electronic notice board.

Heart 1 Comment 3
Graham SmithIt’d be interesting know why the road was closed, and if it was impassable to bicycles as well as motor vehicles.

Occasionally they close side roads because a low level bridge is damaged which can create a traffic free road opportunity for cycle tourers who can walk across.

Without know the closure details though, you couldn’t take the risk of going that way and then having to back track.

It seems that Dubbo was determined to have you visit it.:)

When I first started travelling through that area in the mid 1970s, Dubbo and Wellington were a similar size. Very different to each other nowadays.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Graham SmithIt seems that missing out on Ballimore wasn't the worst thing that could happen to us. We're now in Mendooran and have bumped into another cyclist doing a loop in the area who has told us that she skipped Ballimore because the hotel, where we hoped to camp, is now closed.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Graham SmithTo Jean-Marc StrydomAs they say in the classics, the best source of cycle touring info is other cycle tourists, especially if they are coming from where you are going. Or not going in your case.

I’ve just been chatting to Ian W. by phone. He was keen to hear how you are progressing. He’s been offline up in the high country for a few days.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
What do we do now?
Heart 2 Comment 0

We decided to stick on the Mitchell Highway until Geurie, another twenty kilometers further on, and see if we could cut through to Ballimore from there.  The Mitchell Highway is neither particularly interesting nor particularly pleasant.  Lots of traffic and a shoulder that is excellent in places and downright dangerous in others.  But options seemed limited.

We took a long break in Geurie, almost an hour, and eventually decided to scrap our plans completely, deciding to see out the Easter Weekend in Dubbo and then to head north eastwards to Mendooran on Monday.  The road to Mendooran is through the Goonoo Forest and should hopefully be reasonably traffic free.

This Wiradjuri scarred tree is preserved in a park in Geurie.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then it was thirty kilometers of slog until we reached Dubbo.  As we entered town we spotted an Anaconda outdoor shop.  Amazingly, they had a replacement plate for Leigh.  She had wanted a direct replacement for hers that had developed  a crack after seven years of use.  Unfortunately,  the colour of the  replacement would have been the least favourite if Leigh was given a choice but it was the only colour they had in stock.

Leigh's new plate is the light khaki colored one on the right hand side. Mine is the blue one. She wanted any colour apart from blue but she wasn't impressed by khaki either.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It took a bit of riding around in Dubbo to find  a campground that could accommodate us, eventually settling in in the one at the northern edge of town.  Well positioned to head to Mendooran on Monday.  The campsite has a couple of  kitchens with fridges so it was back into Dubbo to buy meat and beers plus a small bottle of wine for the next two nights.  We might as well make the most any comfort that is on offer.

In South Africa we BBQ over a fire but today I tried my hand at the standard Aussie gas barbie.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Sunday the 31st of March 2024

A real rest day.  A few small chores and lots of reading on the possible routes northwards. 

We used a tree and an electrical point to put the tarp up to shield the tent from the sun.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Tomorrow is seventy odd kilometers to Mendooran (if the plans don't change again).  It's going to be hot!

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 981 km (609 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Angela NaefYikes! What a detour. That’s a bit rough. Hope tomorrow goes well. That’s a long stretch in the heat and hills.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago