Myall Park Botanic Garden - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

May 2, 2024

Myall Park Botanic Garden

Leigh was adamant I should have a look at this spider outside the ladies toilet door. It has an impressive array of captured prey arranged in its larder.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like some kind of orb weaver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orb-weaver_spider
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago

A short and easy ride to Glenmorgan today.  A tailwind made it even easier.  

Quite a few Whistling Kites (Haliastur sphenurus) on the road today.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Glenmorgan had an old car museum housed in an old service station.   Sadly the owner passed away a few years ago and it has fallen into disrepair.   It also used to be the end of the line when the railway still operated in this area.  There is  free campsite in the  village next to where the station stood.

What remains of the old car museum.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The old station building. Currently being restored.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We stopped at the cafe opposite the station and had a second breakfast or early lunch of a plate of chips (French fries) and I popped around the corner to the pub to Puck up a couple of beers.   From there it was seven kilometers to the Myall Park Botanic Garden.

The campground is quite basic but we have it to ourselves.   A hot shower, some lunch and we headed off to the bird hide about a kilometer further on.  A great afternoon of birding - the best so far in Australia. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Yellow-faced Honeyeater (Caligavis chrysops)
Heart 3 Comment 0
Double-barred Finch (Taeniopygia bichenovii)
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rufous Whistler (Pachycephala rufiventris)
Heart 3 Comment 0
Grey Fantail (Rhipidura albiscapa)
Heart 3 Comment 0
Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater (Acanthagenys rufogularis)
Heart 3 Comment 0
White-eared Honeyeater (Nesioptilotis leucosis)
Heart 3 Comment 0
Brown Honeyeater (Lichmera indistincta)
Heart 2 Comment 0

I wish we could spend an extra day here but lack of food and the wind forecast says we have to head for Surat tomorrow. 

Today's ride: 34 km (21 miles)
Total: 2,396 km (1,488 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0