Wildcamp between Erzincan and Refahiye - The fourteenth step ... Asia Minor - CycleBlaze

October 6, 2023

Wildcamp between Erzincan and Refahiye

Covering the distance between Kars and Erzincan by train meant we didn't transition between changes like we would have if we had done it slowly by bicycle. So Erzincan was a bit of culture shock. It is a modern and vibrant little city compared to the provincial character of Kars. There were as many fashionably dressed women as women with their heads covered and very few men just sitting around drinking tea. What was really nice was the number of cyclists on the streets.  

We headed out at about nine thirty, warmly wrapped in three layers. Within two kilometers the extra layers had come off because the weather was surprisingly pleasant. The ride was a constant climb up to a tesisleri, or rest stop, on the E80, a four lane highway.  The tesisleri was almost halfway to the town of Refahiye. Quite a bit of traffic but the good road surface and wide shoulder made for stress free riding.   . 

Leaving Erzincan. Mountains on all sides.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heading up the climb.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Some crazy patterns on the mountain sides. Mostly as a result of erosion I think.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I thought I saw a waterfall but it was only a weir. There were streams all along the ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Rugby World Cup once again influenced our plans and we had a short day today so that we could be in a hotel tomorrow night to watch the final Pool B game, Scotland vs Ireland. This match will determine whether South Africa top Pool B, finish 2nd in the pool or possibly not make it through to the knock-out stages at all, although the last option is highly unlikely

We arrived at the tesisleri at about two o'clock and had a large but basic lunch. Afterwards I had a look around for a place to camp and the best spot seemed to be an open area flanked by the tesisleri, the road and a small stream. The boss man at the tesisleri gave us the thumbs up to camp there so we had no qualms about setting up the tent long before sunset. The stream ran under a bridge on the E80 providing a private though rather chilly place to have a good scrub.  

Late lunch at the tesisleri.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our digs for the night.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 1,959 km (1,217 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0