Still in Rize - The fourteenth step ... Asia Minor - CycleBlaze

August 29, 2023

Still in Rize

Up until now our stay in Turkey has been rain free, until last night when a few drops fell.  While at breakfast this morning  a big thunderstorm broke and the heavens opened.   The forecast was for the rain to have stopped by midday.  With the latest possible  check out only at eleven o'clock and less then fifty kilometers ahead of us for the day we returned to our room after breakfast to wait for the weather to improve. 

The street outside the hotel was awash with water. A few brave souls dashed between the buildings sheltering under umbrellas.
Heart 1 Comment 0

As checkout time approached the rain chucked down harder so we decided to spend an extra day in Rize.  Of course by the afternoon, the weather improved.  But this gave us the chance to take a walk up to the castle. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

It was a stiff and surprisingly hot walk .  The sun had come out by now and we almost regretted delaying our departure from Rize.  To compound this feeling,  the castle was somewhat disappointing.   The lower walls, built during the Seljuq period in the thirteenth century, were in rather poor condition while the citadel, built by the Byzantines in the sixth century,  was now a kitchy tea garden.  Nonetheless,  the views over Rize and the Black Sea were worth the walk and spending an extra day in Rize.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

An extra day here gives us another go at the hotel's excellent breakfast.  We have been eating so well in Turkey that we haven't yet lost any weight we put on over past few lazy months in South Africa.  Perhaps the situation might change once we cross the border on Friday. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0