Rest day in Konya - The fourteenth step ... Asia Minor - CycleBlaze

August 19, 2023

Rest day in Konya

We hit the hotel dining room at about eight o'clock and, based on what was on offer, quickly decided that an early start tomorrow trumps a free breakfast. That wasn't the case in Beyşehir where we were happy to trade an hour on the road for the breakfast on offer.

Yesterday's failure at the immigration office was still on our minds at breakfast.  As usual, there is a lot of contradictory information on the 'net.  Many reports suggest an extension isn't possible because to stay longer than 90 days (the stay granted to developed countries) a residence permit is needed.  Middle income countries like South Africa only get 30 days, which means an extension should technically be possible .  However, I don't have much hope and my mind has already shifted to spending some time in Armenia.   It seems that many folk simply overstay and pay a fine when exiting but that approach is disrespectful and not an option for us.

After breakfast we wandered over to the Mevlâna Museum which is housed in what was the lodge of the Mevlevi order, better known as the whirling dervishes. It houses the mausoleum of Jalal ad-Din Muhammed  Rumi, a Persian Sufi mystic, poet and Islamic scholar.  He is usually referred to as Rumi in English but in Turkey he is popularly known as Mevlânâ.

Because the museum houses Mevlânâ's tomb, it is considered holy and so there is an ablution area for Muslims to wash before entering. The Selimiye Mosque is visible in the background.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The museum was already busy the time we got there ten minutes after opening time.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lots of sarcophagi.
Heart 1 Comment 0
But Rumi's held the prime position.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Korans on display were magnificent, some dating back to the 9th century, but were very difficult to photograph because of the glass cabinets they are in.
Heart 1 Comment 0
They ney players' cemetery. The ney, a type of recorder, is the principal instrument for the music to which the dervishes whirl.
Heart 2 Comment 0

After the museum we visited the Selimiye Mosque built in the 16th century by the Ottomans.   More impressive from the outside than on the inside. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Konya has a surprisingly good cycle path network and bicycles, mostly old runners, are everywhere to be seen.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The Aziziye Mosque, a few hundred  meters away, was also built by the Ottomans about a hundred and twenty years after the Selimiye Mosque.  Also better appreciated from the outside.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mosque steps seem to be a common place to meet for a good natter.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Afterwards I cycled off to buy provisions for the next few days on the road during which I succeeded in finding  a place where I could buy a couple of beers.  The shops in the vicinity of our hotel are very dry, Konya being the most conservative of Turkey's cities. 

Today being Friday, there was a good turnout for midday prayers at the Selimiye Mosque.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Late in the afternoon we headed out for supper at the same place we had lunch at yesterday.  The prices are surprisingly good given that this is the middle of the prime tourist area.  On the way we stopped to have another look at the Selimiye Mosque.   

Softer light than the harsh midday sun.
Heart 3 Comment 0

An early night tonight because we hope to be on the road at first light tomorrow. 

Today's ride: 7 km (4 miles)
Total: 404 km (251 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0