Beyşehir - The fourteenth step ... Asia Minor - CycleBlaze

August 14, 2023

Beyşehir

Once more, up at five and on the road by a quarter past six.  For the first few kilometers we climbed along the old road, which only retains vestiges of its original tarred surface,  before rejoining the D687 just after the summit.  As with the previous day, this is where the sun greeted us but today it kept us company the whole way.  It would reach thirty seven degrees by the time we got to Beyşehir but we rode in almost perfect conditions for the first half of the morning. 

As we rejoined the D687 we saw the first of many signs warning of wild boar.
Heart 1 Comment 0

A lovely descent followed the climb and after that we undulated gently as the D687 did its best to avoid the various villages between Derebucak and Beyşehir.  The second of the two real climbs today was shorter but a bit steeper than the first but the cool morning air meant it was still a comfortable ride.  At its summit we got our first views of Beyşehir Gölü or Lake Beyşehir.  It is the largest body of fresh water in Turkey having an area of 650 km² but is only ten meters deep at its deepest point.

Distant view of the lake.
Heart 5 Comment 0

After descending from the view of the lake we came upon a petrol station we had thought might exist (information on Google Maps seemed contradictory).  To our surprise it was very much in existence and was a lot more than just a petrol station.  Apart from the fuel pumps and usual mini market there was a restaurant and a hotel.  If we had known we might have pushed on another twenty odd kilometers yesterday.  

A brand new hotel and restaurant twenty six kilometers north of Derebucak.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The last twenty kilometers to Beyşehir were rather uninteresting but the thought of a hot shower and a decent meal made them slip by easily enough.

Fields of sunflowers and wheat have been much of the view today.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The wheat has long been harvested and the straw is already being bailed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We came upon this tortoise along the side of the road as we approached the lake. Why was it keeping the dead hedgehog company ?
Heart 4 Comment 0

We have a room at a good hotel in the heart of Beyşehir.  We will take a rest day, catching up on journals  etc and visiting  the thirteenth century mosque for which the town is famous.  

But important things were to be done first.  A hot shower, laundry and a cooked meal.

A plate full of roast lamb and salads after almost four days of being a vegetarian.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lamb on the left and chicken on the right. The restaurant was just fifty meters from our hotel.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 280 km (174 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0