Aksaray - The fourteenth step ... Asia Minor - CycleBlaze

August 22, 2023

Aksaray

We were expecting a boring ride today and we weren't disappointed.   A late start, eight thirty after tucking in at the hotel buffet breakfast, had us mindlessly trundling up forty odd kilometers of the straight-as-a-die, flat-as-a-pancake D300 to Aksaray.  Once again a headwind but not as strong as two days ago.  The countryside was still pig ugly but at least we had views of the Hasandağı volcano through the dust and the heat haze.

The 3268 meter high inactive Hasandağı volcano was visible for the whole ride.
Heart 4 Comment 0
At one point we saw a young boy dash across the four lanes of traffic. It didn't make sense until we saw his herd of sheep emerge from a culvert.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Our entry into Aksaray soon after noon took us a bit by surprise.  It is a remarkably neat, clean and vibrant little city.  Quite the opposite of Konya, the majority of women wear western clothing and the streets are bustling and busy without lots of people just sitting around drinking tea and smoking.

A giant dog greeted us upon our entry into Aksaray.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We made our way directly to the Liva Otel on the eastern side of town.  A clean good value hotel with air-conditioning!  I did however have cycle a few kilometers  back into town to draw money because they wanted to be paid in cash.  Maybe our stay is off the record?

Tomorrow we head for the Ilhara Valley,  a short but hilly ride.

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 564 km (350 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0