Río Arrayanes - The thirteenth step ... Six months in South America - CycleBlaze

November 27, 2022

Río Arrayanes

It was pretty warm by the time we got going at about nine thirty and the temperature kept rising until it was over thirty degrees.  It just doesn't feel right.

Starting out on the rough track from the campground back to the road.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We had four climbs today, each bigger than its predecessor.  The first took us above the village.  Here two men on horseback suddenly appeared from the bushes below us.  It must have been one helluva climb for the horses.  

Looking down at Villa Lago Rivadavia.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Afew kilometers later we entered the national park with some lovely views of lakes, mountains and the ancient Alerces trees.  The road was very dusty and some of the traffic sped by with the result that we ended the day covered in dust.  As the day got hotter and the climbs got harder we started getting a bit ratty with the minority of inconsiderate drivers.  The worst of these were offroad motorcyclists but, as Leigh suggested, kicking up dust was probably a key part of the experience for them.

The northern entrance to the national park.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cycling through the enormous Alerces trees.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our campground for the night is quite different to what we had last night.  It was mostly full of day visitors and we had to wait until after seven o'clock to get a decent pitch for the tent.

We had originally thought we would spend two nights in the national park but I think we will push on through to Trevelin tomorrow.

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 4,002 km (2,485 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0