Nuevo Galia - The thirteenth step ... Six months in South America - CycleBlaze

October 18, 2022

Nuevo Galia

After yesterday's long ride it was great to know that we had a short day ahead of us.  So we didn't rush out of bed and only got going after nine o'clock.  Dante, the hotel proprietor, had been eager to chat to us last night but we were too knackered to give him much attention, so he cornered us again as we were leaving this morning.  

Once on the road it was easy riding after the first few kilometers with the wind, still strong but not as bad as yesterday, on our left shoulders from the three kilometer mark until we rolled into Nueva Galia.  There was even less traffic than yesterday and one wonders why there is this enormous dual carriage highway when there are so few vehicles on it.  We had two vehicles pass us in the first ten kilometers.

About the only thing that grabbed our attention were some gauchos working a herd of cattle.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Once in Nueva Galia we headed for the Hotel San Cayetona, recommended to us by Dante.  It is as simple as his hotel was but perhaps a little cleaner.  After dumping our gear in our room we wandered up the road to a tiny comedor where we enjoyed a hearty lunch.  An important chore for the day was to stock up on cash.  Cards are less accepted here in the rural areas and I have had so many ATMs that turn their noses up at my South African cards.  I made sure that I carry both Visa and Mastercard to cover as many bases as possible but that is not guarantee that any given ATM will be prepared to dispense cash.

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 2,381 km (1,479 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0