Miramar - The thirteenth step ... Six months in South America - CycleBlaze

October 1, 2022 to October 3, 2022

Miramar

Saturday the first of October 2022

Breakfast this morning was a  voucher for a cup of coffee and a croissant at the YPF around the corner from the hotel.  Martin, the attendant at the YPF had a long chat to us and sent us a picture of us he had posted on Instagram.  A bit of advertising methinks. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

We augmented the limited breakfast with pan  bought in the first town down the road, LA Paquita.  It had a small outdoor exhibition of old agricultural implements as did the next town, Altos de Chipion.

Altos de Chipion
Heart 2 Comment 0

There was little chance to find  place to take a nature break along the provincial route seventeen but thankfully there was a defunct railway alongside it with gaps through which we could go to find privacy.

Heart 1 Comment 0

About twenty kilometers from Miramar we turned off the seventeen onto a dirt track that took us most of the rest of  the way.

Heart 2 Comment 0

After checking in to the apartment that will be home for three nights we did a quick reccie of the lakeside.  Laguna Mar Chiquita is  major breeding ground for Chilean Flamingos and also holds some Andean Flamingos.  We hope to have a good rest here as well as fitting in some birdwatching. 

Eared Dove (Zenaida auriculata)
Heart 2 Comment 0
Coscoroba Swan (Coscoroba coscoroba)
Heart 4 Comment 0
Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca) and Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes) showing the difference in size.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Red-gartered Coot (Fulica armillata)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Young Chilean Flamingo (Phoenicopterus chilensis)
Heart 5 Comment 0

Sunday and Monday the second and third of October 2022

Two days of rest and birding.  A highlight of the trip so far.

About thirty five of the kilometers noted in this journal entry are from birding around Miramar. 

White-tufted Grebe (Rollandia rolland)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pampa Finch (Embernagra platensis )
Heart 0 Comment 0
Collared Plover (Charadrius collaris)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Adult Chilean Flamingos
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Black-necked Stilt (Himantopus mexicanus)
Heart 1 Comment 0

Tomorrow we head off towards Cordoba.  How many days it takes us to get there depends on the wind.

Our route so far.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 116 km (72 miles)
Total: 1,605 km (997 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0