Ituzaingó - The thirteenth step ... Six months in South America - CycleBlaze

September 13, 2022

Ituzaingó

We slept surprisingly  well in our crappy digs.  I had bought some eggs from the little store downstairs the night before so the egg mayonaise sandwiches we made was a more sustaining breakfast than the granola we had for breakfast yesterday.

The first eighteen kilometers was flat and easy with the wind coming over our left shoulders.  The road then veered leftwards and the wind was now on our left cheeks making cycling a bit more laborious.  Traffic was still heavy but many of the drivers were far more considerate than I remember Argentinian drivers to be.  This was especially true of the heavy truck drivers.

Just after the turn in the road we came upon a lovely wetland.  We couldn't pass it by and spent a lovely half an hour or so taking in the birds.  We managed to pick up a few new birds and it was good to see some of the more common South American water birds and waders again.

One of the three new birds today, a Sharp-tailed Ibis (Cercibis oxycerca).
Heart 3 Comment 0

On our arrival in Ituzaingó we played hunt-for-a-home-for-the-night again.  The one campsite we looked at was shockingly flithy and for less than two thousand pesos less than the pigsty-like cabañas on offer we landed up in an excellent apartment.  It's away from the river and closer to the main road which is good for our start tomorrow morning because we have a long day ahead of us.  We have managed to get our laundry done and have found some decent looking meat and a bottle of wine at the local mini mercado.  We might as well make us of relative luxury when it presents itself.

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 470 km (292 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0