Encarnación - The thirteenth step ... Six months in South America - CycleBlaze

September 10, 2022

Encarnación

This is our last night in Paraguay. On reflection we have have enjoyed it more than we anticipated. The route we took doesn't have much in its favour apart from delaying our re-entry into Argentina but it gave us a chance to get some exposure to a new country and regain a bit of fitness at the same time.  What has probably stood out most of all has been the friendliness of the Paraguayan people and that is possibly the best kind of memory to have of a country.

Lots of natural forest on today's route.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The road was pretty busy today so we were rather disappointed to encounter, for the first time in Paraguay, a stretch of road without a decent shoulder as we approached the the last stretch of a long climb.  We spied a cement path alongside the road but it just took us to a viewpoint from where we could see from where we had come.  So we had to brave the traffic but it was all very courteous and we had nothing to fear.

The top of the path to nowhere.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Austrian influences as well.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The last fifteen kilometers were pretty crappy and into a strong headwind but we arrived safely at our digs for the night, a nice apartment close to the station where we will catch the train to take across the Parana River into Argentina (cyclists are not allowed to use the bridge).

We've stocked up on a few groceries so we don't have to waste time tomorrow morning and to avoid the risk of shops being closed on a Sunday.  We plan to head to a campsite sixty odd kilometers from here.

Today's ride: 34 km (21 miles)
Total: 356 km (221 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0