Camping El Risquero - The thirteenth step ... Six months in South America - CycleBlaze

December 27, 2022

Camping El Risquero

Once again a very pleasant morning but the weather soon turned ugly.  However the views along the stretch back to the Carretera Austral made up for it. 

Last night's digs.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The northern ice field view from behind the refugio.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These wooden tiles are one of the traditional building methods.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rough wool is used for insulation.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view of the northern ice field from the campsite.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Zoomed in a bit.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The lovely forrested section between the campsite and the Carretera Austral.
Heart 2 Comment 0

One of our options for last night would have been to camp at Don Arturo.   When we passed there we found Liam, the American who was cycling the length of the Americas, camping on the opposite side of the road.  He said that Arturo's house was locked up and there was no one there.  So it had been a good option to discard.  A few kilometers later we passed another campsite marked on iOverlander and it was also deserted so our impromptu detour down the Rio de los Nadis had been the best decision we could have made.

The rest of the ride passed relatively easily given the road conditions and the headwind and we arrived at Camping El Risquero feeling a lot better than we had at the end of yesterday.   Orfelina has provided us with on, sopapillas and eggs so our food situation means we should be able to spend up to three more nights on the road between here and Villa O'Higgins if we need to.

Two other couples on bicycles have arrived here, one from Belgium and the other from Switzerland.   The Flemish couple are on rented bicyles and end their cycling in Villa O'Higgins but the Swiss couple,  who started in Buenos Aires also heading to Ushuaia. 

We're not too sure how far we will go tomorrow.  There is a big climb between here and the ferry from Puerto Yungay across the fjord to Puerto Bravo but not many good places to wildcamp before the ferry.  Much depends on the weather.

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 5,022 km (3,119 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0