Looking for a flat European tour (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Looking for a flat European tour (page 2)

Mark BinghamTo Keith Klein

This group, I suspect, is going to want to smell a lot of roses. However, it sounds like a great idea, and one I might want to do myself someday. Thanks, Keith!

Reply    Link    Flag
7 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Mark Bingham

I should have read Brent’s suggestion more closely, because I was thinking of the stretch west of Vienna, toward Passau and beyond.  Also though I should have noted your comments about a circular tour that avoids trains, which makes a lot of sense to me.  Actually your Netherlands/Flanders idea sounds like it could be really good.  Flat, outstanding bike infrastructure, short distances between interesting sites.  Hard to beat, especially if you get lucky with the weather.

Reply    Link    Flag
7 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Mark Bingham

The Loire is a terrific ride, as is along the Danube. Both have their charms and much to recommend them. Another delightful option is to fly in to Frankfurt and travel along the River Main and the Moseļle. If you are partial to wine, castles and vineyards this ride is super. Send us a message at shadybrook at shaw dot ca and we can mail you some excellent guidebooks with detailed maps and information on any or all these routes. The guides are in German, but Google translate is great. We will be home from our current tour in early November.

Reply    Link    Flag
7 months ago
Mark BinghamTo Steve Miller/Grampies

Just to verify, that would be the River Main from Frankfurt to Mainz, where it becomes the Rhine, then to Koblenz, where you ride along the Mozelle?

Also, seriously, what kind of monster doesn't like wine, castles, and vineyards? 

Reply    Link    Flag
7 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Mark Bingham

Yes to both questions.  And yeah, how can you go wrong with all that riverside wonderfulness? 

Reply    Link    Flag
7 months ago
Lyle McLeodTo Mark Bingham

... a little more detail on this. The Frankfurt airport lies between Frankfurt and Mainz (~10 km and ~16  km to the respective city centres). IMO, Mainz is a smaller and more interesting city than Frankfurt and that's where I'd start the trip from. Agree completely with Steve though that it's a great  (flat) route, as are most of the main rivers in north Western Europe. Endless dedicated bike routes on both sides of the river.

Reply    Link    Flag
7 months ago
Karen PoretTo Scott Anderson

Hallo! I would highly suggest The Netherlands, but avoid Amsterdam itself.  Even though you most likely would begin a ride from here should you fly into Schipol, this area is not for a beginner on a bicycle.  Flat is the number one bike road style of this country, and except for heavier populated provinces you cannot go wrong.

Enjoy the “elevenses” when you stop for koffie or thee along with the necessary appeltaart!

Reply    Link    Flag
7 months ago
Karen PoretTo Karen Poret

This was meant for Mark Bingham..my apologies!

Reply    Link    Flag
7 months ago
Mark BinghamTo Karen Poret

Thanks, Karen!  Very good to know!

Reply    Link    Flag
6 months ago
John SaxbyTo Karen Poret

this area is not for a beginner on a bicycle

How right you are, Karen:  visiting longtime friends in Amsterdam before my 2012 tour up the Rhine & down the Danube to Vienna, I did a couple of hours' guided ride around Amsterdam.  The closest comparison I could make was, "like New York traffic on two wheels."  E.g.: three cyclists abreast coming at me, well into my lane, at speeds which would make anything other than my getting out of the way ASAP, virtually impossible.

Mark, I found Bruges, for example, much easier to cope with. (And, for that matter, my entire Rhine/Danube safari, beginning at Nijmegen and ending in Vienna.)   And, Berlin: a world in a city, with wonderful cycling, urban and peri-urban.

Reply    Link    Flag
6 months ago