Rain jacket - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Rain jacket

Mike Ayling

Heading out for my mid week ride yesterday I encountered heavy rain which fortunately only lasted for about fifteen minutes. My ShowersPass jacket worked perfectly and although I was very wet below the waist my upper body stayed dry. 

I see a lot of pictures in journals of these jackets but does anyone use a different brand which they believe to be just as effective and how does the price compare?  ShowersPass are certainly not budget priced but  like a certain brand of German panniers they do exactly what it says on the box.

Reply    Link    Flag
11 months ago
George HallTo Mike Ayling

In 2015 I was gearing up for my first long tour.  I balked at the price of a Showers Pass jacket (about $250 at that time) but bit my lip and bought one anyway.  I love it and am still using it - it's now served me on 2 coast-to-coast trips as well as the Western Express and Great Rivers South routes.  On each of these trips I was subjected to at least 1 downpour and the rain jacket did it's job.  I bought the optional hood as well - it attaches with velcro and I just leave it attached when the jacket is in a pannier.   The hood really protects me during a heavy rain - I wear it inside my helmet and it keeps me dry and warm.   

I use my Showers Pass jacket for another function as well - it serves to keep me warm on chilly mornings and cool nights in the mountains.  My lightweight cycling windjacket is definitely not waterproof, nor is it very warm - it does help me stay warm while I am exercising, but is of very little benefit when I'm off-bike and walking to dinner somewhere at altitude.  So then my rain jacket serves 2 purposes - it keeps me dry and keeps me warm.   

I also have the rain pants.  I took them on my Transam ride in 2015 and used them a couple of times, but I haven't taken them along since them.   They do keep you dry from the rain, but you will perspire enough inside them that their value is debatable - I decided they weren't worth the hassle of having to put them on/off and still getting wet anyway - but if you were anticipating dealing with cold rains often then maybe they would be worthwhile.   And that's how I feel about rain booties as well - I also used them on my Transam ride, and I recall wearing them during several hours in a hard rain/thunderstorm in Missouri - when the rain was over and I removed the booties my feet were soaked anyway from the captured perspiration.  So I have decided that the jacket with hood is worth having, but rain pants and booties aren't worth it for my needs.   In the photo below I'm indicating that this is my 10th continental divide crossing on bicycle. 

I Wore The Rain Jacket and Hood For Warmth While Climbing The Pass
Reply    Link    Flag
11 months ago
Kelly IniguezTo Mike Ayling

When I was in the market for a new rain jacket, a friend said to pick the fabric I wanted and then shop for the fabric. His example was Goretex Paclite fabric. Oren suggested searching for all jackets made with that fabric, and then making a choice. He got an LL Bean Paclite jacket on closeout in his size. Great find! I wasn't as lucky, but also bought a jacket with that fabric and have been happy with the performance. 

Reply    Link    Flag
11 months ago
Mike AylingTo Kelly Iniguez

Hi Kelly

You can't just say Goretex these days, there are so many different grades available for different applications. Great that you found a version that suits your requirements.

Mike 

Reply    Link    Flag
11 months ago
Mike AylingTo George Hall

Hi George 

I have never liked rain pants. I wear Ground Effect (a New Zealand company which sells a lot of cycling clothing including   rain jackets) tights in cold and wet weather and they dry quickly   so my legs warm up quite quickly after the rain.

I also wear my ShowersPass as as a warm jacket both on and off the bike.

They are pricy but you get what you pay for!

Reply    Link    Flag
11 months ago
Kelly IniguezTo Mike Ayling

Mike,

My experience is with the Goretex PacLite that I referenced in my reply.  I agree with you, only those who have done more research, realize that GoreTex is a family of fabrics.

It's one more thing to research during those long nights. Tire brands, anyone?

Kelly

Reply    Link    Flag
11 months ago
Mike AylingTo Kelly Iniguez

Well Kelly,

What do you suggest to replace my Schwalbe Marathon Supremes which  are reasonably light and durable but no longer available?

Reply    Link    Flag
11 months ago
John PickettTo Mike Ayling

I tried the Showers Pass jacket but found it fit too tight around my tummy. Being pear shaped is a problem.

Long ago I settled on a Marmot Precip jacket, marketed to hikers. It won't win any fashion awards but it keeps me dry and has pit vents to keep me from overheating. Also it has a hood that rolls up and attaches with velcro when it's not needed. It's under $100 (less on sale which is when I buy it). Only real drawback is that it is not as durable. I'm on my fourth in the last 25 years but I used to wear them when commuting so I wore them out.

I have Showers Pass pants and am bring them on my tour this summer in the northeast US. They will probably get used for warmth to be honest. Like the jacket these don't fit me particularly well but I can't find anything for rain that I like better.

BTW I am a big fan of REI Junction Hybrid pants. Not water proof but super comfy.

Reply    Link    Flag
11 months ago
Mike AylingTo John Pickett

Hi John

Agree about the ShowersPass being a snug fit.

I bought mine on line and spoke to a member of the sales team stating that I wanted a looser fit and what she sent was very snug!

Still it is an incentive to keep the weight off!

Reply    Link    Flag
11 months ago
John PickettTo Mike Ayling

I should have mentioned that I need room under my jacket for layering. I started wearing the Precip when I was commuting and there were plenty of subfreezing rides. 

To get the room in a Showers Pass jacket I'd have to go up a size. Then, the arms would be too long.

I think the moral of the story is to try the jacket on before you buy. Same goes for shoes and, well, bikes.

Reply    Link    Flag
11 months ago