Is coastal Route AIA in northeast Florida rideable? Ride-worthy? - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Is coastal Route AIA in northeast Florida rideable? Ride-worthy?

Philip Blumenkrantz

Seeking feedback on biking Florida Route AIA from south of the Georgia state line to Daytona Beach, using Jacksonville and DeLand Amtrak stations to get to and from my home in the Northeast. Particularly would like assessments on riding A1A - safety and ride worthiness generally. My wife is somewhat traffic adverse. Probably in mid-April.Would need to connect via spurs to and from train stations. Could alternatively do some kind of loop via the St. John's River/AIA, with Jacksonville and Palatka, as north and south termini.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Wayne EstesTo Philip Blumenkrantz

I'm surprised you didn't get any replies to this inquiry. At least one Cycleblaze author, Mark Boyd, has pedaled that route many times and seems to like it.

I pedaled most of that route way back in 1989, so my experience isn't very helpful today. I found the densely developed areas on A1A to be relatively bike-friendly because congestion forces the traffic to move slowly. It's not a race track.

I think it's better to travel north on A1A for three reasons. First, the sun and wind will be on your back. Second, you have better ocean views. Third, you don't cross any roads when traveling north. You only pass the occasional beach parking lot entrance.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
John PickettTo Philip Blumenkrantz

I rode from Amelia Island to Key West along the coast in 2017. I don't recall much traffic. Also, other than some standing water and sand, the road conditions were fine. My bigger issue was with the strong winds coming off the ocean. They carried sand and made things unpleasant. I used a floppy hat under my helmet to shield my left eye from the grit. 

I went home to DC on Amtrak from Fort Lauderdale. It was over 24 hours of boredom. BYOF. The food in the club car was pretty awful.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

I rode from Amelia Island to Key West along the coast in 2017. I don't recall much traffic. Also, other than some standing water and sand, the road conditions were fine. My bigger issue was with the strong winds coming off the ocean. They carried sand and made things unpleasant. I used a floppy hat under my helmet to shield my left eye from the grit. 

I went home to DC on Amtrak from Fort Lauderdale. It was over 24 hours of boredom. BYOF. The food in the club car was pretty awful.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Philip BlumenkrantzTo John Pickett

Thanks, John. Do you recall a prevailing wind direction? 

I believe Amtrak has dramatically expanded its food offerings since then, BTW. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Mark BinghamTo Philip Blumenkrantz

I haven't traveled it, but I read this journal a few months ago:

https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/juicymelt/

It might be worthwhile making a comment in the journal to get a reply and see what he has to say about it.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

For me the wind was from the east and very strong. There happened to be a tropical depression stalled off the coast. I can't speak to normal conditions. After getting sandblasted for five days it didn't much matter which way the wind was blowing.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago