Can you recommend a bike shop in or near Minneapolis? - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Can you recommend a bike shop in or near Minneapolis?

Susan Shore

It's time to overhaul my old 3x9 speed Waterford touring bike.  Groupsets have changed a lot since it was originally built up, some 20 years ago.  I'm happy to keep the 3x9 with STI shifters, but not sure if the parts will be available.   I'm also open to a newer group set, if I can get touring-appropriate gears.  I've recently relocated to the Minneapolis area, and am looking for a touring-bike-friendly shop, someone that will understand that I want to keep my low gear down around 18 gear inches, since I'm old-ish and will be traveling fully loaded.  Can you suggest a shop?  Thanks!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Gregory GarceauTo Susan Shore

I'd like to recommend The Angry Catfish.  It's a hip urban shop with a wide variety of bikes and services.  Even if they can't help you with your specifics, they can fix you up with a good cup of coffee.  

Angry Catfish Bicycle and Coffee Bar

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Susan ShoreTo Gregory Garceau

Thanks!  I'll check them out.  I'll admit that I wasn't aware of that shop.  It definitely has an intriguing name.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Gary AslaksonTo Susan Shore

Many people like Freewheel.  They have several locations in the area.  I was told County Cycles in Roseville has more touring products than other shops.  They seem nice enough.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Susan ShoreTo Gary Aslakson

Thanks, Gary.  I'll look up Freewheel.  But first....I have to dig out from all this snow!  County Cycles shows as permanently closed in Google maps, and the street view shows a "For Rent" sign in the window. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Gary AslaksonTo Susan Shore

I did not know County Cycles had closed.  My bad.  Bicycle Chain and Gateway are smaller, local shops on the Eastern side.

Now Bikes is another local chain.  Grand Performance is a more high end shop in St. Paul.  There's Seven Spokes, but I have never been there.  

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Susan ShoreTo Gary Aslakson

Thanks, again!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago