When is your well loved bike ready for retirement? (page 3) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

When is your well loved bike ready for retirement? (page 3)

John PickettTo Kelly Iniguez

It's an interesting idea but I have no room for another big bike. I can't complain. I got 20+ years of use out of it. If it dies, I'll treat myself to a new bike. I haven't bought one in over 7 years. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Graham SmithTo Kelly Iniguez

Kelly my first touring / commuting bike, an English-made Ernie Clements Falcon Olympic 27” wheeled road bike was still going strong after about 30 yrs of continuous use, including two trans-Europe cycle tours.  I bought it off-the-shelf in London in 1978.

Though it was a bit like grandpa’s ‘good as new’ axe (with a new head and handle:), it was still fully functional until I sold it a few years ago. The plain gauge Reynolds frame will probably outlast the pyramids.

However, I wish I’d replaced the Falcon years before I did. When I first rode the replacement, a Thorn Sherpa, the huge improvement in touring functionality and ride quality was amazing. Modern materials and design are superior to the ‘good old days’ materials on what was a mediocre bike even when it was new. It was durable, but the frame was as lively as a rock.

At my age, 66, I doubt I’ll ever replace my current bikes unless one is stolen or badly damaged. Nowadays, I have quite a few different types of high quality touring bikes which will outlast me. They are a joy to ride. 

I’ve stocked up on essential components, such drivetrain parts, which will wear out.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Kelly Iniguez

I replaced my 1987 Miyata 615 GT in 2014, a year after I got my carbon road bike and I discovered how fantastic it was to ride a bike that fit!  I could stand over it when stopped, instead of having to tip it sideways, put one foot down, and have my other knee hanging over the crossbar.  My 2014 Co-Motion Pangea (custom-sized) is super comfortable but is it ever heavy!  I plus all my gear add up to less weight than many riders so there's no need for my bike to be quite as tough as the Pangea.

When Al told me he was going to replace his commuting/touring bike with a titanium gravel bike, I decided I needed a lighter bike.  It makes no sense for the bigger, (much) stronger rider to have a much lighter bike so I ordered the custom bike I call Maple.  We are both very pleased with titanium as a frame material.  Al opted for a carbon handlebar and wheels, I didn't.  We both chose electronic shifting and I'd say, don't knock it until you try it!  Shifting is so much easier for those of us with small hands!  But here I'm glad I chose Shimano.  My GRX only needs charging once a month or so on tour and the only issue I've had was self-inflicted.  I now know how to remove the derailleur wire for packing.  Al chose SRAM because it was wireless, but his version has an awkwardly-placed front derailleur that prevents fitting tires wider than 32 mm, even though the frame allows much wider tires.  He no longer deals with the shop that assisted him with ordering his bike and built it up.

PS:  Hydraulic disc brakes are so much easier to use!  When descending our local mountains on my rim-brake-equipped, unloaded road bike, I usually have to stop to allow my hands to uncramp.  No hand-cramping issues with my titanium bike with its hydraulic disc brakes, even loaded.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago