Air Horn - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Air Horn

George Hall

Has anyone used an air horn to scare away dogs?  I've recently seen them recommended, seems as though they might work, but I've never used one.  I have seen folks ride with one mounted to the handlebars, so I know they must be sold somewhere for bicycle usage - but I can't seem to find anything suitable online.  Anyone know where I might get one?  I'll try and ask my LBS also.  Thanks,

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Mike AylingTo George Hall

Hi George

Put "AirZound" in to your browser and you should get plenty of hits.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
George HallTo Mike Ayling

Thanks Mike!  Lots of hits on that. I use all 3 water bottle cages when touring so I'd have to rig up another way to hold it.  

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Pete StaehlingTo George Hall

For other options, search for "boat air horn" and you will find a bunch of $10 compressed gas horns.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
George HallTo Pete Staehling

Thanks Pete.  Academy Sports also sells a small compressed air horn that some folks use as a stadium noise maker - called a "horn/sirene," it's the perfect size for bicycle use and that's one of the recommended uses on the package.  I'll probably just duct-tape it onto my touring bike and the first usage will be a real test on the next dog chase.  

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Wayne EstesTo George Hall

I'm curious if any cyclists have tried and had success using a handheld ultrasonic noise maker to deter chasing dogs.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
George HallTo Wayne Estes

I don't know, but that might work.  The Natchez Trace Travel folks plan itineraries for people touring the Trace - when road construction closes off a part of the Trace they recommend that cyclists have an air horn to scare off the inevitable rural dogs - I don't know if they have real experience with this, but they plan itineraries and hear from many cyclists every year.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago