Upside down pictures - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Upside down pictures

John Pickett

I am in the process of posting a long journal. After 16 pages I decided to go live. I went to add the pictures that will identify my journal on the Journal page and at the top of my journal's home page. Both pictures imported upside down.

I sent an note to the site administrator as to how to remedy this but figured I'd give you all a chance to educate me. Thanks.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezTo John Pickett

Are you left handed? I am. I have this happen to me, three out of four photos I would like to use. I think it is because I usually hold the camera 'wrong' when I take photos. Once, when I really wanted to use a particular photo, I edited it to be upside down on my camera, thinking it would then show right side up on the website. No. It did not.

I took the simple way out, and kept looking for photos until I found one that would work.

I would love to hear the solution also.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
John PickettTo Kelly Iniguez

Maybe it’s because I often take pictures while doing a headstand. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo John Pickett

Cameras store the image orientation in the file's metadata.  You need to get rid of that metadata, or replace it, to have the image show correctly when posted.

It'll be a tedious and ugly hack, not a true solution, but you can create copies of the inverted images and post those instead.  If you're using Windows:

• Open the original image in Paint
  • From the Edit menu choose "Select All" and then Copy.
  • Open a second copy of Paint with no image in it
  • Past the copied image; if necessary rotate to the proper orientation
  • Save the new image as a different file
  • Use that copy to post.
Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo John Pickett

What electronic devices do you have to work with?  I unload all my photos to an iPad and upload them to the post from there.  It has a built in photo editor with an image rotation function.  It’s a pretty standard function in most photo editors.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterTo John Pickett

I find that I can only put pictures that I took in a horizontal orientation in the thumbnail - pictures shot vertically always end up sideways, even if I rotate them before uploading. It seems to be unique to the thumbnail as there is not a problem with orientation in the journals. I have used powerpoint as a work-around, which is probably similar what Keith is doing with paint.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
John PickettTo Scott Anderson

This photo software is also resident on my iPhone. I tried it I inverted the picture. Saved it as inverted. And uploaded it. Still shows as upside down. It’s totally crazy

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
John PickettTo Scott Anderson

This photo software is also resident on my iPhone. I tried it I inverted the picture. Saved it as inverted. And uploaded it. Still shows as upside down. It’s totally crazy

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo John Pickett

Totally bizarre.  I’ve never experienced anything like that.  Maybe you’re holding your phone upside down?

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago