World’s Weirdest Border / Germany-Belgium - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

World’s Weirdest Border / Germany-Belgium

Kathleen Jones

Perhaps those of you have traveled in Western Europe have heard of the Vennbahn bike route, and have even ridden it, but this was news to me. I found the idea quite entertaining. My one frustration though is that the article did not specify exactly where this little anomaly is. I had to go to Wikipedia for that. 

World’s Weirdest Border? BBC Travel

Vennbahn Wikipedia

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen Jones

Isn’t this wierd though?  I don’t know of any place like it.  Best of all, It’s a great place to bike.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Kathleen JonesTo Scott Anderson

Ha! I was almost counting the minutes until you replied. Shoulda known, or at the least, shoulda remembered you going through there last year. Your post gives better context from a cycling perspective.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen Jones

Sorry to be so slow.  We were out to dinner.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Leo WoodlandTo Kathleen Jones

There's an area of southern Holland that has scattered bits of Belgium within it. The border envelops houses but may leave the garden in another country. A handful of houses could be Dutch, the next three Belgian, then Dutch again. The bar is Dutch, the newsagent Belgian. The only way to tell is the colour of door numbers. It was an interesting area in the first world war, when Belgium was a combatant but Holland wasn't.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago