Garmin Varia RTL515 Rearview Radar Taillight (page 5) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Garmin Varia RTL515 Rearview Radar Taillight (page 5)

Mike AylingTo Kelly Iniguez

Electric cars - quieter than ICE cars but there is quite a bit of tyre noise so not perfectly quiet.

Reply    Link    Flag
11 months ago
Rachael AndersonTo Mark Bingham

we like the Garmin 1030 plus for several reasons.  First, it’s pre-loaded with maps for most countries and can navigate even if we don’t have cellular coverage, which happens fairly frequently when in more remote areas.  The long battery life is great, also.  I don’t like using my phone because it runs down the battery and I depend on my phone.  It also allows Scott and me to track each other.  Per the question of ride with gps, Scott creates the routes on ride with GPS and they it’s very easy to load them to the devices and you can set up a link to Ride with GPS to automatically upload them as rides which includes the stats from your ride.  Finally I really like the ClimbPro feature that you can choose to use to track your climb.  It will pop up when you start a climb show ping the profile of the climb, your progress on the climb ( distance left to climb) and the current grade of the climb.

Reply    Link    Flag
11 months ago
Rachael AndersonTo Mark Bingham

oops, duplicated comment.

Reply    Link    Flag
11 months ago
Kathleen JonesTo Mark Bingham

Yes, I’m still using the Varia with my phone. I’ve only been doing local rides so battery life has not been an issue. 

I use it with RWGPS on the phone and that works fine. I use that instead of the Garmin Varia app because it seems like it has to connect to Garmin. I don’t have any other Garmin right now so see no need to use them. However, you have to use one app or the other to get the audio signal through the phone.

I’m still really happy I have it.

Reply    Link    Flag
11 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Rich Frasier

After reading everyone's posts here I bought one and used it for the first time today. It worked great, except for the frequent beeping whenever it noticed Barry riding behind me. He always rides behind me so we stay together. I turned the beep off thinking I would just rely on the orange flashing lights on my Wahoo, until I didn't notice that a big SUV was passing me in my lane when another car was coming from the other direction. Grrrr.

Barry suggested we put it on his bike. We paired it with his Wahoo and voila, both of us get the alerts - even when he is as much as 6 bike lengths behind me. Maybe the range is longer, that's just what I've seen so far. Glad we have it!

Reply    Link    Flag
10 months ago