2022 plans (page 6) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

2022 plans (page 6)

Wayne EstesTo James Fitch

Jim, go to Google Maps and search for Covered Bridge Willamette Valley. All the bridges will show up. You may need to zoom in a bit to see some of them. At the moment I just have the name, date built, and approximate location of 26 covered bridges in a Word file. Also an itinerary for an 11 day motel tour that includes a rest day in Silverton.

The meandering eastern part of the loop goes to 22 covered bridges. The western part goes to only 4 covered bridges.

The eastern part of the route also goes near 5 notable waterfalls, including 2 plunges that you can walk behind. 3 at Silver Falls state park accessible with short easy hikes. And 2 at McDowell Creek county park which is the spur north of Sweet Home. It requires an easy 1.5 mile loop hike.

The route follows several scenic tributaries but has few views of the Willamette river. The northernmost part of the route crosses the Willamette river on a ferry at Willamette Mission State Park. The only other view of the Willamette river is on a recreational path in downtown Corvallis. 

I favor June and July for roadside fruit stands and avoiding smoke.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
James FitchTo Wayne Estes

I'd be afraid of it being hot in June or July, especially July, in Oregon's central valley.
-Jim

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Keith AdamsTo Henry Dalton

Thanks Henry.  

It's interesting: I was relying on the surface type indicator from Ride With GPS, and had not cross-checked the Street View images.  Where RWGPS indicates it's all sealed surface, the on-the-ground images clearly indicate otherwise.

Lesson learned: use multiple resources when routing through unfamiliar territory.

I do also have the ACA Parks, Peaks, and Prairies map set and intend to stick with that until I have a particular reason to deviate.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Wayne Estes

Hi Wayne,

Very interested in your covered bridge route! Looks like a nice ride.

Racpat

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Wayne EstesTo James Fitch

Jim,

Oregon's Willamette Valley was extremely hot in late June and early July of 2021, but the AVERAGE July high temperature is only 85F/29C. Much cooler than California's central valley, with more plentiful shade.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Bill GiffinTo Kelly Iniguez

Kelly, those look like great routes.    A few years back, I rode some segments of your fall colors route.  Beautiful! 

I'm contemplating riding from my home in SC Nebraska to St. George Utah in late August-early September.   I've considered routing through the Denver area on West or venturing south into Kansas and entering lower Colorado.  I would appreciate your opinion concerning the route selection.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Kelly IniguezTo Bill Giffin

Bill 

Routing is one of my favorite pastimes! What woman passes up the chance to give a man advice?

Do you want to start a separate thread so others can use the resource?

how many miles a day? Camping or motels?

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Keith AdamsTo Karen Cook

Hi Karen

I don’t have exact plans beyond finishing the Trans-American trail trip that I didn’t complete last year.  I know I will start in or near Eugene area and ride to Colorado.

Not sure of your planned timing but I'll be transiting part of the TransAm starting in early July.  It'd be fun if our paths crossed; we could amuse ourselves as we ride by telling lies about our mutual friend Leo Woodland.  :)

-= Keith Adams =-

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Karen CookTo Keith Adams

Hi Keith,

I am planning on starting earlier in June :-(

Although telling lies about Leo is always fun ;-)

Karen

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Keith AdamsTo Karen Cook
I am planning on starting earlier in June :-(

I figured that might be the case.  Depending on how much earlier you start there's still a chance- I'm starting in Bend and joining the TransAm route in Prineville.  But you'll likely still be at least a week, maybe two or three, ahead of me.

Hope everything goes well for you.  I hope you'll be writing about it so I can follow along as you scout for me... :)

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago