2022 plans (page 5) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

2022 plans (page 5)

Keith AdamsTo Henry Dalton

Hi again Henry

So, if I have your suggestion correct it could look something like this?

Alternate route through the Black Hills, bypassing Rapid City in favor of the Needles Highway

That would probably entail overnights in Rochford SD (as planned) and Hermosa SD (bypassing Rapid City altogether), right?  Rapid City was "supposed to be" a regularly-scheduled two night stay for laundry, groceries, and general recharge but I'm not insistent on the idea.  Since there appear to be several campgrounds in the vicinity of Custer State Park I could, for example, spend one extra day in transit and have shorter, easier days to do a "rolling recharge".

Avoiding larger population centers in that area is probably a good thing, given that I'll be passing through just about the same time as the annual Sturgis craziness is in full swing.  The more I can separate myself from that, the better.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Keith AdamsTo Bob Distelberg

Bob-

Yep keep me in mind for the C&O leg in particular.  I'll be happy to act as your "native guide".   And remember: "Dates On Calendar Are Closer Than They Appear."

Most of the GAP will be new to me though I've been through the general area many times in the car.

The C&O has the virtue of having basic campsites right at trailside, spaced generally 5-10 miles apart.  They have plastic outhouses and hand-pumped water, fire rings, picnic tables, and flat spots for tents.  (Not formal "tent pads" with gravel beds held in place by timber, but easy to find a place for the tent.)  If it's been raining they can be a bit sloppy but overall they aren't bad.

Being next to the Potomac the also have MOSQUITOES.  Bring your DEET.

Towns such as Hancock, Williamsport, Shepherdstown, Sharpsburg, Harper's Ferry, and Brunswick are either right on the route or just off it, so there's no stress about being far from food and water.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Kelly Iniguez

Hi Kelly,

We are just looking at the schedule, tentatively it might just work out, always depending upon actual start date/rest days. Abiquiu for now looks like two weeks to get there. Then 7 days to Del Norte and maybe 3 days to Salida. Plans are rest days in Abiquiu and Salida.

We will definitely keep in touch and mindful of your dates! That would be fantastic to meet up!

Rachel

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Wayne Estes

We are hoping Fibonacci Scribble is on for 2022.  I've booked our flights and made reserved most of our accommodation--partly because I suspect there will be a lot of pent-up demand and partly because it's so nice knowing you have somewhere warm and dry to stay when the weather isn't cooperative.  Everything is fully cancellable so we have our fingers crossed!

I am also thinking of a fall tour again as well.  It was so nice being in Spain, dry, while at home in BC there was an "atmospheric river" with a record-breaking amount of precipitation and widespread flooding.  The challenge will be finding somewhere that's warm, not too expensive (we Canadians are always conscious of the exchange rate), and offers good cycling.  And, until things improve, reasonably safe health-wise.

Here's an idea I've been working on:  Biarritz to Porto!  Just the bare bones for now.  And it's not meant to be three days!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Karen CookTo Keith Adams

Thanks, Keith.  I can't wait to retire!  I would probably go now if I could afford it but I need to hang in a little longer so the pension is big enough to afford all my crazy travels and adventures.

I have known for a long time that I ride more with my heart than with my legs.  So getting the travel bug (riding bug) back feels really good!  I think having a few years of "ebb" might turn out to be a blessing in disguise, I feel more excited to get out there now because of it.

I hope you get the bug back too!

Karen

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Henry DaltonTo Keith Adams

Keith, your new route includes some gravel between Spearfish and Deadwood, so you'll want to be flexible if it's going to be muddy, but yes it includes all of the spectacular Needles Highway. If you're going to be in that area around the time of Sturgis week, I think it's very unlikely you'll be able to find a motel room anywhere, and I'll bet that official campsites will all be full, too. But most of the area you'll be riding through is in National Forest or National Grassland, so it's legal to "dispersed camp" pretty much anywhere.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Keith AdamsTo Henry Dalton

Is the gravel between Spearfish and Deadwood part of the Mickelson Trail?

I will just have to see, regarding competition with the Sturgis crowd, I guess.  But I am prepared to camp in any convenient out of the way location.  Might prefer it, actually, provided I have adequate water and some food with me.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Keith AdamsTo Karen Cook

Hi Karen-

Thanks, Keith.  I can't wait to retire!

My original intention was to retire on 4/2/21 - 31 years to the day from when I started with my last employer.  I started a countdown clock (with my boss fully aware- I wanted to be sure they had plenty of notice and time to prepare) at around 1,000 days out and amused myself by ticking off the days, weeks, months, and 100-day increments.  (Yes I'm a data geek).

Circumstances changed a bit on October 2020 though, and I ended up staying until 9/17/21 so I had to reset the counters accordingly.  Like you, I was very excited about the prospect of spending my time more-or-less solely based on my wishes and without consideration of project schedules and the like.

It's been very liberating!  I think you'll be pleased.  But yes you don't want to have worries over finances looming in your background so don't pull the trigger until you're confident that you have what you need, to live in the way you want.

Happy retirement to you!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
James FitchTo Wayne Estes

Wayne, I've thought of doing such a ride more than once. Maybe you will push me over the edge. I've been casting about looking for a shortish ride to do this summer. I'm curious if you will locate on your map the covered bridges on the route.
-Jim

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Henry DaltonTo Keith Adams

Keith, your map shows you using Christensen Drive and then Maitland Road between Spearfish and Deadwood. Using the Streetview function in a few places, those look like good-quality gravel roads--I don't see washboarding or deep soft gravel. They look like they could be muddy when wet, though.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago