Northern Tier; Original Highway 2 Route or the "New" ACA Route? - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Northern Tier; Original Highway 2 Route or the "New" ACA Route?

George Hall

Folks;

Has anyone here ridden both the "original" ACA route through Montana and the new (current) ACA route?  We were planning on following the current ACA route, and that is our default - but others have/are riding the original Highway 2 route and doing fine with it.  The route was changed in 2012 due to the heavy oilfield truck traffic on Highway 2 at that time - but that is no longer a concern. 

My question, then, is which of these routes is the "better" of the 2 for cycling.  We are in Glendive, MT tonight and will travel to Circle tomorrow.  On Thursday we will have a rest day - on Friday we leave Circle and will either be heading north to intersect with the Highway 2 route or we will stick with the current ACA route.  

Any input from those who may have ridden both routes is appreciated.  Best wishes,

Buddy Hall

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
George HallTo George Hall

Folks,

FWIW, we got an answer.  Kevin, touring on a CoMotion tandem with his 9-year-old daughter Abby, gave us the best experience-based advice we could ask for.  Kevin rode the original ACA route (Highway 2) in 2019, and the "new" ACA route (mostly Highway 200) this year.  His reply was that he would take the newer route "seven days a week."  I'm sure we could have ridden either route and been happy with it, but having such a strong recommendation from someone who has ridden them both was quite convincing to us.  And so that's what we are doing.  I'm mainly posting this reply to my own question to have it on the record for others who may care.  Best wishes to all,

Buddy Hall

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago