Cookie Lady (page 3) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Cookie Lady (page 3)

Charmaine RuppoltTo Jeff Lee

I met June Curry on a bike trip in 1998 and stayed at her house.  She had said that she had always wanted to go for a drive to see and read the historical markers you see along the way.  So I think of her whenever I stop and read them. :)  She DID love to talk, and was a kind lady! :)

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
George HallTo Jeff Lee

Unfortunately, she had already passed when I stayed at her house in 2015.  All the gifts and cards from cyclists worldwide were scattered throughout and every wall was covered with thank-you cards.  The place was getting a little run down even then, but I was happy to sleep in my sleeping bag on a couch that night.  One doesn't sleep great there, because it's right beside the road and the windows are open for cooling so there is road noise throughout the night - but I was still happy for the lodging.   A friend of hers named Hope was taking care of the place at that time and let me in, and later 3 others showed up and spent the night there also.  The Cookie Lady's legacy and kindness lives on even for those of us who never met her!  What more could anyone want than to be remembered with such fondness? 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Steve Miller/Grampies

That's definitely NOT "biscuits and gravy", it's mashed potatoes (they look like instant potatoes and don't look well-prepared, by the way) and gravy (possibly from a can) with "toast", though the bread doesn't appear to have been subjected to much heat or for very long.

Biscuits and gravy look more like this:

Biscuits and gravy a la "America's Test Kitchen". Eggs and bacon are optional accompaniments.

Done right I find them quite tasty but done poorly, as happens all too frequently in commercial establishments, they've got an unfortunate resemblance to wallpaper paste.  My wife, bless her heart (*), won't get near them.

*: the phrase "bless your heart", like biscuits and gravy, is an American southernism.  It often carries a vaguely sympathetic-but-condescending overtone.  "He cain't hep it, bless his heart, but Mert's granddaddy just ain't quite right in the hay-id."

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Wayne EstesTo Keith Adams

Keith, that gravy looks like it has been drying out in a warm crockpot all day long. I'm accustomed to more watery gravy that isn't possible to make into a tidy pile on the biscuit.

I eat biscuits and gravy on rare occasions, but it's not my favorite breakfast. You might be surprised that it's quite popular in the Pacific Northwest.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago