What gps do you use for navigation (page 4) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

What gps do you use for navigation (page 4)

John PescatoreTo Edward Hitchcock

Hi, Edward - I'm usually an early adopter to technology across my hobbies and home life but always enjoy maintaining my "throwback skills."  My first century back in 1969 or so as a 12 year old was 3 of us noticing on a map that Montauk Point, on the eastern end of Long Island NY where we lived, was 100 miles away. I don't know if anyone called it a century back then, but it sounded impressive so the next day, we started out on Sunrise Highway which ran east and we were pretty sure got us there. We didn't even bring that gas station map!

All was well until a policeman kicked us off where Sunrise Highway was actually a highway and no bikes were allowed! We were suburban kids out in farmland with near zero navigation skills beyond reading road signs....

You would probably enjoy this book my wife bought me a few years ago: "The Lost Art of Reading Nature's Signs: Use Outdoor Clues to Find Your Way, Predict the Weather, Locate Water, Track Animals―and Other Forgotten Skills " A very enjoyable read.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Edward HitchcockTo John Pescatore

Thanks for that recommendation John.  I'm looking to see where I can find a copy....

E

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago